The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough
Default I need help.....

I keep watching these boards and videos on line and asking lots of questions and never seem to quite get the hang of things... Im thinking I need some one on one assistance... sooooooooo

I have a 10'8" 6/7 wt switch rod with a Rio grand 7wff line on it. The last time I used it I got so frustrated because I could not get the fly out much more than 20 feet or so from the shoreline of a lake I like to fish.

After watching videos on line Im thinking scandinavian or skagit but not sure ... so... here is my question..

Is there anyone on this forum that knows of anyone in North San Diego county area that would be willing to meet up and show me how to cast this rod properly... ??

MacFly
Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need help.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly55 View Post
I have a 10'8" 6/7 wt switch rod with a Rio grand 7wff line on it. The last time I used it I got so frustrated because I could not get the fly out much more than 20 feet or so from the shoreline of a lake I like to fish.

MacFly
I am not in your area, but I think I can help you anyway. Is that line you mentioned a spey line or single hand line? First of all you should be able to get more than 20' just rolling the head out. By a lot.

Second, being a switch rod, are you overhead or spey casting this? How much line are starting with out of the rod when you go into a spey cast if you are spey casting? Does the line have a mark on it?

Next, do you have a way to video record a cast so I can see what you are doing? Also how far on the clock face are you going with the rod front and back? If you go to far back, trunking your cast it's not good. It's even worse if you don't stop high. You can drift the rod out flat after the high stop, but you can't go smoothly out flat.

When I learned to spey cast, I watched videos on you tube. I stood in front of the monitor and mimmicked the moves. When I was fairly confident I had them done I watched it and took notes. I then tried them in the water. It worked for me pretty well and it's a good thing. I don't have another spey caster within hundreds of miles of me.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Hey John,
R. B. Meiser Fly Rods - Recommended Line Systems for the R.B. Meiser Highlander Switch Rod Series
Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 PM

Dan...

The line is a straight forward 7wt wf-f line... so Id say single handed line.

The last time I used the rod I did mostly roll casting. There were too many bushes etc around me to do much else (and that is one of the reasons I bought the rig).

As far as line out goes Id say I had 10 - 12 feet at a minimum out on each roll cast.

As far as I know the line does not have a mark on it nor is it a different color... so a lot of what I do is guessing...

The only other casting I did was (and I hope I describe this right) .. line to my left laying on the water... swing the rod level from left to right till my right arm is straight out to my right side... then lift my arm back to me and hopefully cause a d loop behind me... then snap the rod forward and stop at about ten oclock... creating a loop and hopefully shooting the line out in front of me...

it is my understanding that this is what is commonly referred to as a switch cast... but I could be wrong on that...

have to be honest and say watching videos of the different casts for the most part they look very similar... and that is part of the confusion as well..

as for a video... not sure that can happen since I usually go out alone...

I may try the watch and mimick course of action...

MacFly

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Hey mojo...

Im referring to my mojo rod that is a rainshadow 10' 6" 6 or 7 wt... will these lines and charts work for that rod...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

If your rod is a 10'8" I'm guessing its a Batson blank and if I'm not mistaken, Meiser and Godschall (sp) had a hand in the design. Go to the link Mojo posted and get in contact those guys, for the price of an off the shelf line they can build you a line suited to you, the rod and your prefered methods. Once the rod is lined right the little Batsons are fun rods.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
If your rod is a 10'8" I'm guessing its a Batson blank and if I'm not mistaken, Meiser and Godschall (sp) had a hand in the design. Go to the link Mojo posted and get in contact those guys, for the price of an off the shelf line they can build you a line suited to you, the rod and your prefered methods. Once the rod is lined right the little Batsons are fun rods.
It's the same rod. That's good advise from wt. Call them. It can't hurt.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:24 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm not familiar with North County but down in, if I remember right, Mission Bay there was Strouds Fly shop, in Old Town there was Sol Cal Outfitters, and another shop out on Cornodo whose name escapes me but they might be able to help out with the casts.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly55 View Post
Dan...

The line is a straight forward 7wt wf-f line... so Id say single handed line.

The last time I used the rod I did mostly roll casting. There were too many bushes etc around me to do much else (and that is one of the reasons I bought the rig).

As far as line out goes Id say I had 10 - 12 feet at a minimum out on each roll cast.

As far as I know the line does not have a mark on it nor is it a different color... so a lot of what I do is guessing...

The only other casting I did was (and I hope I describe this right) .. line to my left laying on the water... swing the rod level from left to right till my right arm is straight out to my right side... then lift my arm back to me and hopefully cause a d loop behind me... then snap the rod forward and stop at about ten oclock... creating a loop and hopefully shooting the line out in front of me...

it is my understanding that this is what is commonly referred to as a switch cast... but I could be wrong on that...

have to be honest and say watching videos of the different casts for the most part they look very similar... and that is part of the confusion as well..

as for a video... not sure that can happen since I usually go out alone...

I may try the watch and mimick course of action...

MacFly

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Hey mojo...

Im referring to my mojo rod that is a rainshadow 10' 6" 6 or 7 wt... will these lines and charts work for that rod...
Yah you are underlined. You need to go to Meiser's link and find the right line. Then there is the roll cast thing. These are spey rods and you should try a spey cast. Another thing, the 10 or 12 feet out thing. Even if you had the right line on, you have not got enough line out of the rod. The whole head should be out of the rod. The only part of the video I'm posting here you really need right now is from about 23 seconds to about 41 seconds. I wish it showed his line better so you could see the marker. The marker should be at the rod tip, or very close to it. Notice how much line he has out. Watch the cast how he sweeps back so the line forms the D loop. (The line from the rod tip to the water) The front part of the line then 'anchors' on the water. When the D loop is formed and the line is anchored, he goes into the forward cast. Every cast he does regardless of what he's doing has the D loop and anchor. This is what makes a spey cast a spey cast. You may find it easier at first to put your right foot farther forward than he does here. I can't cast as far without having it farther forward.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM

Would my rio gold line have this marker?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Mac, I built my switch on the same blank, contact Steve Godshall; he'll build you a line for your rod at a very reasonable price...PM sent...

Dan