The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 07:31 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road
Default Switch rod help for streamer fishing

I am thinking about picking up a switch rod to fish lakes from my pontoon boat. I will mainly be throwing larger size streamers and big nymph rigs. My two questions are, can you effectively use a switch rod from a pontoon boat? Will a 6wt switch rod throw large streamers such as a sex dungeon or butt monkey? From the looks of what I have seen online you throw much more line with less work with these rods, really would be a saving grace on a big lake.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Switch rod help for streamer fishing

That's a good question I'd also like to know the answer to,even though I've not yet used a Spey or Switch Rod ,I'm about to build a Switch Rod.
Also by watching the Videos & U-Tube I imagine it would be quite dangerous as the Cast,which there are several types is mostly started from the Line being on the water then aerialised.
Diver Dan is the guy who will know.
Brian
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I'm not sure of the specific answers to your questions. However, for throwing streamers I'd definately go with a Skagit line. These lines are designed for casting big flies. The type of line is more important than the rod. I'd quess that with a 6 weight Skagit line you can throw up to size 4 streamers, but I'd call the guys at Rio and ask them.

Randy
Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I've thought about it since I fish stillwater a lot. To me the biggest problem is how to properly load the rod on stillwater. Then I asked myself, what advantage would a switch rod have over a single hande rod.
I came up with nada. There's more cons then pros.
Pro's- ????????
Con's- Too long a rod, especially trying to land the fish.
Can't load the rod properly for a long cast.
No need for spey type long casts when fishing Stillwater.

That's just a few I came up with and it's enough for me NOT to own one for stillwater fishing.
Now I'm sure there will be times when you could load the rod, but remember, if you're in a tube or kickboat, you'll be sitting while casting.
I do know a lot of people use 10' rods for stillwater, but I'm not sure why. I use 7' - 9' rods. And the do the job for me. But, to each his own.

FWIW, I use a 6w 9' rod for Sex Dungeons, Circus Peanuts, and other Gallop patterns. In fact, a Burkheimer 7w is in the planning stages for next season.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have become a complete spey addict, so this may surprise you. I would not use a spey rod, and swith rods are spey rods, from a pontoon. Far casts are not a problem in a pontoon. Just paddle over closer. Landing a fish might be tougher. I have used my 15' Meiser from a boat so it can be done, but it's easier with a 9' rod. I fish stillwater a lot with a spey rod. It's not as easy to load the rod without current but you can do it. You just use to doing a Perry Poke a lot. You can get around pretty much any problem of using a switch rod from a pontoon, but why have the problems in the first place? If a switch rod just seems like something fun to do, and believe me it would be, skip the pontoon part.

OK everybody, mark this down on your calanders. I for the first time ever advised against a spey rod.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Some very interesting posts going on here. But a thought if I may; just what IS a switch rod? It's a one hander with an extension handle under the reel seat. Period.

The configuration can be done with any length rod, but most switch's will be under 12' in lenght. The one I use is 11' and I can easily lay out 70 - 80 feet of line (reel to fly). With my 10' Sage XP (custom made by ACR) I had a small 'extension' built below the reel seat (still only 10' long) and I 'spey cast' far more than over head. Why? Because I don't need any back casting room.

But the question can you 'spey cast' long distances on still water hangs here. The answer is you can chuck a hell of a lot of line with a two hander on still water. Just look at the casting comps going on around the world. Vast majority of these are done on still water and the casters are putting out 165 (and more) feet of line standing waist deep in water.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Some very interesting posts going on here. But a thought if I may; just what IS a switch rod? It's a one hander with an extension handle under the reel seat. Period.

The configuration can be done with any length rod, but most switch's will be under 12' in lenght. The one I use is 11' and I can easily lay out 70 - 80 feet of line (reel to fly). With my 10' Sage XP (custom made by ACR) I had a small 'extension' built below the reel seat (still only 10' long) and I 'spey cast' far more than over head. Why? Because I don't need any back casting room.

But the question can you 'spey cast' long distances on still water hangs here. The answer is you can chuck a hell of a lot of line with a two hander on still water. Just look at the casting comps going on around the world. Vast majority of these are done on still water and the casters are putting out 165 (and more) feet of line standing waist deep in water.
Fred, I didn't say it couldn't be done, and remember he's fishing out of a kickboat, sitting, not standing on the shoreline. And why chuck out to 100'.
I used to throw 60'+ while on stillwaters. (all my stillwater lines have 30', 45', 60' marks on them) but I found 90% of the fish I caught were less than 25' from my boat. These days I normally cast a little over 30'.
Again, unless he just wants a switch rod, my opinion is it's a waste of money and he may try it a few times, he'll gradually gravitate back to the single hander.
If he really wants an outstanding stillwater rod, he should try a BIIIx, or a Sage
99 in 6w.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken Mojo; unless there was a real reason for ultra long casts (not too likely on still waters) there isn't much point.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

I want to try out a switch rod just because I'm curious. None of the rivers that I fish around here are big enough to justify one, so I thought I could use stillwaters as my excuse. No such luck, back to the drawing board.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Throwing big streamers is a matter of technique (timing & power in concert) and everyone here has made very good points regarding rod length and still-water fishing. I have fished using streamers for a long time and developed my casting style to accommodate flies all the way up to McNally Magnum's tied on a #4 8X long shank hook. I used a 9' 5 weight rod to do this from 1995 up to the present and before 95' I used a 7' 9" 5 weight to fish streamers.

I fully understand the subconscious pressure that constantly nags at us; making a person think and then believe that he / she must acquire another rod, line, and reel in order to be able to fish a specific size fly or a place. I have suffered from 'tackle envy' ever since I was a kid, it seemed that every time I looked at a magazine or walked into a sporting goods store everything on display would surly be better than what I was currently using. The reality of economics governed my tackle collection and I lived my life learning to adapt to conditions and overcome obstacles even when these were fishing related. It took until I had finally arrived and was able to surround myself with a rod and reel for every imaginable situation for me to understand that the tackle was more of a comfort zone than a necessity. I like every rod I have but this past fall whenever I fished small rivers for trout I had that old 7' 9" 5 weight in my hand, I cast a #4 salmon hook with a Spey style salmon / trout fly attached to a 10' leader with a 30" braided lead head spliced into the middle of the leader and I enjoy the casting. Technique; If you really want a switch rod and can afford one I believe you should get it and see if you can make it work for you. What works for me is just that, what works for me. I will say that if your local rivers are at least 60' wide in some or many areas the use of a longer rod will be a great pleasure after you get a good casting technique down pat. Once you master a few simple casts you will be able to fish areas that previously were out of reach most often because of tight conditions on the banks behind you that prohibit a normal back cast. This ability to cast comfortably with literally no space behind you is (for me) the number one reason to get your self a Spey or switch rod. I prefer to move closer to targets if possible whether fishing from a pontoon boat or wading and have never found the ultra long casts to be overly productive although they are a lot of work but again, that's just me.

Like mojo said "Con's- Too long a rod, especially trying to land the fish.
Can't load the rod properly for a long cast.
No need for Spey type long casts when fishing Still-water."

I've never fished from a float tube but I have tried to 'boat' a salmon with a 13' rod in my hand and I have one word for the experience, Circus. For use in a boat, raft, or tube, I would stick to a 9' rod but if you want to learn Spey / switch casting then by all means get a setup, trust me you will find places to use it. If you do this I would nudge you toward a Spey rod of at least the 13' length, everyone I have met fishing a switch rig here wants a longer, full Spey rig.

Good luck with the decision making process, I know how it is

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;