The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Switch vs. Spey definition

There has been a lot of talk about switch rods lately. As a result there has also been a bunch of bad information injected into it. Here is a definition of spey and switch rods to start clearing some of it up.

What is the difference between a Spey and Switch rod?

By popular definition in North America a Switch rod is between 10.5 ft and less then 12 ft long. A Spey rod is 12 ft or longer in length. In Europe these rods are not called Spey/Switch rods,,,,,they are defined as Two Handed rods.

Both rods will perform Spey or double handed casts in exactly the same manner.

A west coast rod builder, Bob Meiser from Oregon coined the name Switch Rod to describe his new line of short two handed rods that were suitable for both Spey and overhead casting with two hands. Later many writers changed the meaning to Spey casting DH or single handed casting.

To further confuse the issue we have a very old Spey cast called the Switch Cast. This is nothing more than a single spey where we pick up the line and present it back in the same direction with a touch and go style of casting.

Switch rods are spey rods. Just short ones you don't need to be built like Hulk Hogan to overhead cast.

Here's a link to Meiser Rods.
Meiser

In case you don't want to read the whole thing thing, notice in the quote where Bob Meiser calls switch rod a term for a two hander. "Both the Switch Rod and Grain Window concepts were originated in our shop. Both have now become generic terms within the two handed community."

Last edited by Guest1; 11-28-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Switch vs. Spey definition

Thanks Dan . Very informative as all your posts are. Question: I would like to try Spey casting. I am a fairly accomplished caster with rods up to 12 wt but have never tried Spey. What rod and reel do you recommend as well as line and can I learn on my own or is instruction a necessity? Thanks for any input you can give.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Thanks Dan . Very informative as all your posts are. Question: I would like to try Spey casting. I am a fairly accomplished caster with rods up to 12 wt but have never tried Spey. What rod and reel do you recommend as well as line and can I learn on my own or is instruction a necessity? Thanks for any input you can give.
Jeez Boz, sorry about missing your post for so long. As far as what rod and reel I would recommend, there are to many things to take into consideration to just pop off with an answer. First, how big is the water you plan to fish this thing on? What do you plan to fish for? As far as learning on your own, I did. You Tube was my greatest help. But if you jump onboard the spey train, I'll PM you my number and will help you all I can. It will be easier than just going the You Tube method. It's a shame, but there was a guy on You Tube that had some really great instructional videos, but he closed his account. He made a new one but then closed that one to. I got in contact with the guy and he looked at video of me casting and really helped improve my casting. Since he's gone, I have thought about doing the same kind of videos, because not everyone lives where you can get lessons, like here at the planet's uh..... rear end. Again, sorry about missing your post for so dang long.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Dan no apologies necessary. I miss my shoes if there not by the front door . Thanks for giving me some ideas. I want to use it in the surf as we as the two bigger rivers that I fish. I've watched some of the videos that you've posted in the past and it looks like a blast. I will PM you when I'm ready to buy and hopefully can get something to start with . Like the look of your sticks and thanks again for the help.
John
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
I will PM you when I'm ready to buy and hopefully can get something to start with . Like the look of your sticks and thanks again for the help.
John
I'll be waiting for the PM, and thanks for the compliments on my rods.

By the way, I just found a place to get a high end 17' 11wt. blank. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm giving it serious consideration.