The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Another spey myth busted?

Are you talking about wild trout? I can't imagine that on a slower river wild trout would not be spooked.

Randy
Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The fish in the video might not appear spooked but I'd bet it won't hit a fly for a little while. Just because it didn't bolt doesn't mean its not put off. If he were to cast to that fish after after all that casting I'd guess that fish would ghost the fly to the dangle and dissappear knowing something isn't right. Then again its anyones guess, just when you think you got them figured out they stop making sense.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Are you talking about wild trout? I can't imagine that on a slower river wild trout would not be spooked.

Randy
I'd have to agree Randy. Not happening in "skinny water" either.
Try that on a spring creek like the Henry's Fork or Silver Creek and that fish is gone, of course on waters like these that fish isn't gonna be there in the first place.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
The fish in the video might not appear spooked but I'd bet it won't hit a fly for a little while.
I don't know about that, if you look at the fish it is clearly feeding on something, and not only does it not 'bolt' it moves closer. I had a fish once between me and my anchor for who knows how many casts. By the time I noticed it, it was so close I dangled the fly in front of it with my rod so 'high sticked I had a hard time setting the hook on it when it hit. And yes it did hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I'd have to agree Randy. Not happening in "skinny water" either.
Try that on a spring creek like the Henry's Fork or Silver Creek and that fish is gone, of course on waters like these that fish isn't gonna be there in the first place.
I'd have to disagree with both of you. How does the water being 'skinny' make more of a difference than the butt deep water he's in? It's not like that fish which I seriously doubt is a hatchery noise immune fish, is going to act different if that water was less than the 2 1/4' it was in.
theboz likes this.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Like I also said its anyone's guess, some spook some don't. I've had a fresh run all to myself saw a pod of fish far enough away and they scatterd like cockroaches when the fly landed a good distance upstream. I've also had fish hit before the fly even started to swing on a sloppy cast. Everyday and every fish is going to act different, if the fish is, and I hate to use this term, a player then it doesn't matter so much I guess. Seeing something like the video in real life would make me wanna poop poop poop on the floor....
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Piano!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Dan, thanks for the video. Not familiar with the Spey method, i don't think. If that is the proper method he's using i do use a similiar cast on various occasions with all of my rods at one time or another. Depending on the situation. I think i'm correct in saying there are no absolutes in all casts. Each individual situation will dictate the method or style, if you will, to what needs to take place in each cast. This fish you are seeing in the video is obviously an active individual. Doubt that he's scared. I'd say more hungry than scared. I use to think if a fish could see ya you couldn't catch him. I was wrong on that one. I fish a place beside railroad tracks and it seems the fish pay very little attention to the noise. Maybe use to it. I'm sure that the current you see in that video is creating plenty of noise so i doubt that the sound of lifting line would be a factor. Been wrong before so this wouldn't be the first time. Big fish don't get big because they're stupid. Do you suppose that fish is over on the slack side of the current for ease of holding and just maybe he's using the added protection of the fishermans body as a restriction of the current? Or maybe the guys feet are kicking up some food off the bottom? I'd think that fish could be caught. He'd be a handle full.
Eddy

Last edited by rapid eddy; 03-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

You probably do Eddy, you probably do. There isn't a spey cast that can't be done on/by a single hander rod. Couple of them (snake roll as an example) are a bit awkward, but still very 'do-able.' Many single hander casting instructors are now incorporating some basic spey casts into their lesson plan.

And a good reason for it ..... the need for a lot of room behind you for your back cast can be at a 'premium' or lets just say limited. Incorporating a 'spey cast' only requires a bit over one rod length of clear air space (circle, snake, Perry Poke, etc).

End game is a spey cast is 'just' a change of direction casts that 'eliminates' all the false casting needed with a single hander, but the 180 degree 'rule' still applies, etc.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

I have been fishing with the big rods for the last couple of evenings. The first day I had a fish hit the white mouse and hard. I had one hit the connection between the line and leader while I was stripping. I also had a personal best big fish I accidentally tried to cast. I was shaking the line out of the rod, did a perry poke and then a single spey. The fly was stuck. I starting cussing the weeds. I strip line in so I can clean the weeds off and there is an 18" Smallmouth on the line. It was a good fight once I caught up to it and realized it was there.

I have had this happen a lot. As I shake the line out of the rod, it pulls the fly around in a very realistic, convincing manner. Fish do not seem to mind I am dumping line back and forth over the top of them. Better yet, because the way I do this, it's after every cast. This and my casting do not run off the fish.

I have a theory that it may even attract some fish in some areas. Here we have huge runs of Emerald shiners. The noise a school of them jumping from the water when a fish attacks, sounds very much like the line ripping off the water. The fish I generally hook this way are Pike and Smallmouth. In fact even with the limited time I managed to get in fishing this year, I have caught at least three pike this way. This is my first Bass this year, but not the first one I have caught.

Next time you guys shake your line out to the marker, watch the fly. I'm surprised I don't get more fish this way. Who knows, maybe I do and loose them before I figure out why the fly was stuck. It's not the best way to fight a fish.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

It is interesting to know what does and does not scare fish, but two things I do know: if you don't wade deep you dont need to cast as far and paradoxically you will cast further!

I know the guy on the early video is just learning and doing very well but "ripping" line off is a mistake. Even thinking that way is best avoided. There is no point is expending energy in that part of the cast. Better to think of 'peeling' the line off 'quietly' in a nice unhurried tempo. Once you see most of the line is off the water then is the time to impart an accelerating energy into the loop formation. Good spey casts are inavriably almost silent - no ripping or swooshing!

My thoughts anyway!
Hardyreels and fysh like this.