The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Eagle has landed...

The eagle has landed, the fat man will walk the beach alone tomorrow...
The 9WT Switch has arrived. I will have to carve out some time to hit the beach. I will either come home with a few fish or some new piercing. Maybe both!
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Eagle has landed...

A few fish and a free piercing, sounds ideal!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
A few fish and a free piercing, sounds ideal!
I was just in the parking lot at work playing around with it. This could be very good or very bad for me. One thing I know for sure, the Clousers are staying home until I get the hang of this thing.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Piercing shouldn't be a problem as long as you are careful. I think the biggest error that people new to 2 hand casting is that they think that the wheel must be reinvented. Not that an over head 2 hand cast does not require a little different tact than one hand casts but don't forget everything you ever learned about casting just because the grip is longer. A little careful practice will go a long way with your rod. I use my 13' rod when I fish the salt and found that developing a 2 hand over hand cast was fairly easy & safe too. I don't really try to cast much farther than I would using my 9' 9 weight and double haul casting. What I do is make the same length casts with very little wasted motion or energy. This alone makes the long rod worth the price of admission. When you do want to reach out further you will be ready as long as you have taken time to learn walking before looking to run.

Enjoy,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Piercing shouldn't be a problem as long as you are careful. I think the biggest error that people new to 2 hand casting is that they think that the wheel must be reinvented. Not that an over head 2 hand cast does not require a little different tact than one hand casts but don't forget everything you ever learned about casting just because the grip is longer. A little careful practice will go a long way with your rod. I use my 13' rod when I fish the salt and found that developing a 2 hand over hand cast was fairly easy & safe too. I don't really try to cast much farther than I would using my 9' 9 weight and double haul casting. What I do is make the same length casts with very little wasted motion or energy. This alone makes the long rod worth the price of admission. When you do want to reach out further you will be ready as long as you have taken time to learn walking before looking to run.

Enjoy,

Ard
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. After plenty of good advise from the forum and tons of reading I decided a switch rod was what I needed. All I want is the same distance I get with my single hand 10wt without a falsecast or a double haul. Using two arms and taking some stress off m casting shoulder is a bonus. From my prelimenary parking lot testing it looks like I'll get it.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Good deal Marco! Now you'll be throwing full size bunker patterns with little to no work. I envy you!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Good deal Marco! Now you'll be throwing full size bunker patterns with little to no work. I envy you!!!
Believe it or not we've had almost no Bunker this Fall. Huge 4-6" Sand eels all over. Bluefins are crashing all over them. You have a standing invite with me whenever you come back home.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It should be a snap for you, if I had a stripping basket my casts would be much longer when standing knee deep in the surf. You'll get the knack of how to pin the line with a finger and let some slip on the back cast for distance. You'll also come to realize how valuable the tug on the tip when the back cast is ready to be propelled forward is. We feel this with the one hand rods but when you throw a 60 - 70' back cast and then wait for the tug I notice it more and better with the long rod. With the long rod and 2 hand grip you can really launch the forward cast, that's what I meant by having a stripping basket really being helpful.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

What the temp in the surf?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
What the temp in the surf?
50-52 this past week. Haven't even broken out the thermals yet.

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It should be a snap for you, if I had a stripping basket my casts would be much longer when standing knee deep in the surf. You'll get the knack of how to pin the line with a finger and let some slip on the back cast for distance. You'll also come to realize how valuable the tug on the tip when the back cast is ready to be propelled forward is. We feel this with the one hand rods but when you throw a 60 - 70' back cast and then wait for the tug I notice it more and better with the long rod. With the long rod and 2 hand grip you can really launch the forward cast, that's what I meant by having a stripping basket really being helpful.
I wouldn't even attempt it without a striping basket. Most of the surf I fish will make a mess of a flyline in 20 seconds is it's laying in the water.