The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some fine tuning help guys.

Ok, so the general consensus is that my top hand above the reel is a habit from my single hand casting and not the ideal place for it to be on the switch rod. Back to the water. If I make it out in the morning I'm sure I'll have some more questions in the afternoon.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

This thread made me stand on my deck just to wave my switch rod. I found my most comfortable upper hand position somewhere in the middle of the grip. I will probably end up going to the river to see how hand position effects my casting. To be honest, I never gave it much thought.

Dennis
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
This thread made me stand on my deck just to wave my switch rod. I found my most comfortable upper hand position somewhere in the middle of the grip. I will probably end up going to the river to see how hand position effects my casting. To be honest, I never gave it much thought.

Dennis
Good, we can compare notes! I see Dan's point because with two hands apart your creating more leverage and Fred makes sense because if your arms are parallel with your body you create the most force with the least amount of energy. So I guess the width of your shoulders determines how high up your had rests. In the name of research I have to hit the beach tomorrow morning.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm with Mosca on the middle grip area, maybe to a bit above dead center for an overhead two handed cast, think of it like a mini hocky stick. Thats what worked best for me, if my hands were closer together, top hand close to the reel, I had to really work to feel the load and tended to rush the cast. Once I spread the grip out I was able to slow down and load the rod down into the cork. Thats one thing I noticed with the TFOs they like to get bent and then its like watching a cannon fire in slow motion!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
... Thats one thing I noticed with the TFOs they like to get bent and then its like watching a cannon fire in slow motion!
I realized this yesterday on the beach. This rod really likes to be pushed on the forward cast.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so maybe not the best of testing conditions, but I just got back from casting in a park and didn't notice much of a difference whether I kept my hand closer to the reel or further up at the top of the grip. I will say that when I had my hand placed further up, I seemed to be able to get just a little more line out. I guess the good news for me is that I was able to get plenty of line out and especially for where I'll be fishing this.

I was casting a 6110-4 Z loaded with 350 grain Hook & Hackle switch line which is on an old reel that I intend on using for practice. I'll be curious to see how the 6/7 Rio Switch performs on it hopefully next weekend.

To further confuse me, I watched both Henrik's Scandi casting video and Simon's Skagit casting video before I went out, thus confusing me on styles. Good news is that I was able to perform the Snap T and Perry Poke pretty consistently. I guess I can live with that. Snake roll proved difficult on the grass.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Ok guys, time for round two. I took Dan and Freds advise and put my top hand towards the top of the grip. Then I took WT's advise from an earlier post and went up to a 630gr head. This is all starting to click now. I was consistently shooting my entire running line on the lawn. I'm sure the water load will shorten that a bit.
Now for the next question. The new head I picked up is an Airflo Skagit compact. At only 25ish feet it's much shorter than what I'm used too and the rod seemed to load before I was ready for my forward motion. I have a few options here:
A. Slow down my back cast
B. Let out some running line. (Thanks Ard)
C. Work on my timing.
What do you guys do when using shorter heads?

Last edited by swirlchaser; 12-16-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Whats the weight of your Skagit head? When I fist picked up my switch rod (7wt TFO) I got a 480 skagit head for it. For waterbourne its finest kind but when I tried to overhead it...aweful!! It could work if it were a lighter than normal skagit but thats something I never tried.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Whats the weight of your Skagit head? When I fist picked up my switch rod (7wt TFO) I got a 480 skagit head for it. For waterbourne its finest kind but when I tried to overhead it...aweful!! It could work if it were a lighter than normal skagit but thats something I never tried.
The TFO 9WT is rated at 500-700. The head I just picked up is a 630. It loads great but it's so short that it's behind me before I know it.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Yeah I'd save that for when you head to the Salmon or other rivers where you can use the sustained anchor casts. I know what you mean the few times I tried to airialize my skag I got a lousy open loop or the whole thing would drop before I could make my forward cast. On the river your line rigged to one of the MOW tips from RIO like the 5/5 in the lighter stuff will still jack a pretty big fly and get you down deep enough.