The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 11:25 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default What switch line to use?

Just wondering, I have an 10ft 8wt allen xa rod on the way and I looking to rig it, I was thinking about using a switch line to work on spey casting and fly larger flys. any suggestions would be great. thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What switch line to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
Just wondering, I have an 10ft 8wt allen xa rod on the way and I looking to rig it, I was thinking about using a switch line to work on spey casting and fly larger flys. any suggestions would be great. thanks
The easiest thing to do would be call Allen and ask them what they recommend. Tell them what you have in mind. They have tested these and can send you in the right direction. Aslo be sure to let them know you are new at this.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:46 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The easiest thing to do would be call Allen and ask them what they recommend. Tell them what you have in mind. They have tested these and can send you in the right direction. Aslo be sure to let them know you are new at this.
I was chatting with Justin a lil while ago, I emailed Evan about it. just figured I would ask here also to see if anyone is using this setup like this.
Mike
Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 AM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

Replied to your email! Here's what I sent:

Mike,

Is there a specific use you're thinking of? What type of water, flies, and situations would you be fishing in? I just want to make sure this type of line would suit what you're doing.

In general, spey and switch lines are designed for water loaded, high line speed casts. These are achieved by a strong pull on the bottom handle for a swift movement of the upper rod, where it rotates around a fulcrum made by your top hand grip. A regular single hand cast is more of a "push" or "chop" motion, which is a lower line speed. What this means, is that your single hand rod is much more difficult to get an efficient cast with lines designed for two handed rods.

One line that would cast well on it is the Rio Scandi Short Versitip in the 5wt size (yes, 5wt size for the 8wt single hander). However, my absolute favorite line on the 10' 8wt Xa is an 8wt Rio Grand. It's a pseudo shooting head type of line, and can single hand spey beautifully.

In short, if you want to spey cast, I suggest a two handed rod. A spey cast on a single hand rod is possible, and is actually quite effective in the right situations; but for the sole purpose of only spey casting, a single hand rod is not the best tool, and a line designed for a two handed rod is not the best match for it.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have additional questions!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, my bad. I made the assumption the 10' XA was a switch rod. I would not use a switch rod line. Line it for single hand casting but put a line with a head something like 45' long. For heavier flies you can maybe go up a weight like a 9 wt. line. Might help to know what the ERN for the rod is. then pick a line weight. Single hand spey casting is done the same way as a two hand cast but the free hand is used to haul. The primary purpose of a single hand rod is to single hand cast so line it that way and just spey cast with the same line. No need for extra lines and spools and whatnot.

Here is a video where I am spey casting with a single hand rod. I'm underlined a weight in the video but you don't need to be. You don't need to be overlined either. I have heard more than once you need to overline it to 'feel it load', but if you are waiting to feel it load you are doing it wrong. In fact I made this video just to prove the point. One more thing. You need to get the whole head or pretty close to it out of the rod to spey cast. The line in the video has a white 43 foot head and a green running line. The best spot seemed to be with the head about 2' into the rod. Notice where the color change is. It helps to pick a two color line but you don't have to. You can take a magic marker and just mark the line where your rod tip is when it works best. Use tape so you can adjust till you find the sweet spot and mark it permanently.

Also, by heavier flies, what do you have in mind?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:37 PM

cool. Evan thanks for the email replies
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 PM

I have been researching the lines Evan suggested, this line is very interesting.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

You can use that on a single hand rod, but don't use the 8 wt. line. It would be way to heavy. Single hand and spey line weights are not the same. He says in the video to go down 3 weights or the 5 wt. spey line in your case. I'm not sure I'd go the spey line route, but you could try it.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM

I think at this point Ill try the 8wt line Im getting from allen, at the price of the spey line it would be a expensive test.. but I may still try it. or maybe the rio grand line.
mike
Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 PM

Default question for Evan

Evan, have you tried the RIO outbound lines on the 10ft 8wt? I am seeing videos of it being a huge distance line, and I to plan to fish ponds and lakes with this rig more so then creeks, well, maybe a biger river. Just looking for your insight. thanks