The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:52 PM

joshmac is on a distinguished road
Default flextec powertec 11' 9wt line suggestions

hi im new to the forum. my wife got me a flextec powertec 11' 9wt fly rod for a early christmas present. then got me a rio skagit flight 550gr shooting head and a 450gr rio scandi afs shooting head. i have tried the skagit out in my back yard and seems to load the rod fairly well but im new to fly fishing. my question is; is the 450gr a little light for my rod and are these the right stlyes to start off with to learn to spey cast? thanks alot! josh
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flextec powertec 11' 9wt line suggestions

Wow! Sorry about everyone missing your post. When picking a line for a switch rod, the first thing you should do is find the grain window for the rod. Being a British Rod you would have to do it by e-mail or something. But guessing a bit here, that Scandi line is about a hundred grains underweighted for it. That Skagit head may be a tad light as well but you are probably closer. It probably should more in the low 600's. If you were to find a shop in your area that will let you test a line that would be a great way to do it. If you can't do that I'd call the Red Shed Fly Shop and talk to them. They may send you lines to test. They are pretty accomodating.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you don't take being missed for week and a half to seriously.

red shed fly shop
Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've only had my 9wt switch a few months but I've learned a lot thanks to all the guys on this forum. My 11' 9wt throws the best overhand casts with a 625gr line.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Josh, welcome to the Forum...Where are you from?

Dan
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hey Josh, Dan's right you'll want a heavier Scandi head for that but the Skagit isn't way off, you can balance it out with sink tips. Opinions vary so much on line weight to different rods it'll get your head spinning! I will say that for Scandi or Underhand casting a lighter line than most think is the better choice. I fished an 8wt 13'6" older Sage that really liked a 490 Scandi head but the cast took a while to get down its a very fast short stroke. But before you get into that two handed casting is a very personalized thing, what lines work for me or Dan or whom ever might not work well for you. As Dan said get in touch with Poppy over at the Red Shed he is a spey madman and will send you lines to test as well as give you his best reccomendations. If down the road you feel gravitated towards a certain style give Steve Godscall a call and he can build you a line that matches your rod and style better than an off the self line and not cost you any more than one.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope all of us missing Josh's post for a whole week didn't discourage him from returning.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 AM

sorry guys been away for a while. went down to the local fly shop and they swapped me a 510 gr scandi. i haven't tried the lines out in the water because my reel is too small. i was only able to get 30 yds of backing on it. hopefully soon i'll get a new one. i emailed flextec to see what the grain window was but have not gotten a response. i live in port angeles, wa which is about a hour away from some great steelhead rivers!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Banned

I'm glad to see you didn't give up on us.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 PM

i finally got my new reel today. echo ion 10/12 wt. i strung up 250 yds of backing, running line , and my skagit head and still have some room to play. should be heading out with the wife on sunday to the sol duc river to test it out. she is not a fly fisher yet but i may convert her ( that might mean i can get a spey rod and she can use my switch rod!!!!) i'll report back my results.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Way to think ahead Josh... Get her hooked then you'll be set...

Dan