The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:12 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about
Default Spey Question.

Hey guys, i have the opportunity for a new switch rod. Which would be nice for salmon and light steelhead, but im more along the lines of not being a huge skagit thrower, and more along the lines of throwing poly tips and smaller *lighter* flies. With the rod being touted in the 400 grain range + skagit style, what should i be looking for? Im thinking beulah elixir, but i just dont know what grain to look for if im looking to throw lighter tips and flies but still want the performance of the rod.

Just having a tough time figuring this out, will a scandi compact throw a poly tip setup?

Thanks, hopefully mods will move this if it's not in the correct place.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spey Question.

Check out the Rio Scandi Short Versitip. Sounds like exactly what you're after. It's also one of the most fun lines to cast in existence!

Scandinavian Fly Lines | Rio
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

".... and more along the lines of throwing poly tips and smaller *lighter* flies."

Couple of thoughts on Skagit vs Scandi lines. The first will be shorter AND heavier than the Scandi for a given rod. The primary use of he skagit line is to toss 'sink tips.' And really big/heavy flies. This can be scaled back using sections of "T" this or that (8, 11, etc). But the basic idea is still the same: You have a very heavy short head that will 'rip a tip/fly' out of the water after a 'sustained water load.'

The Scandi will toss lighter tips or a floating head with a very long 'standard' leader, etc. Far more of a 'touch and go' cast.

But back to the question (and just my h/o here): If you're new to the game, go Scandi as it has a far shorter 'learning curve' than a Skagit. For context, if I'm teaching someone how to cast a 2-hander the absolute last thing I'd hand him is a rod loaded with a Skagit head.

A Scandi with a straight leader on the end ..... 85% of the time. Second pass will be a 45 - 55 foot full floater (rod length will drive the choice) matched to the same (rod/s). The first will get him casting, the full mid-belly will greatly improve his tic-nuek and timing.

And so on.......

Bye the bye, Bu builds a good rod if 'price point' is an object.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What Fred said!

Aimed towards Fred - Remember when everyone had to learn on Windcutter Speys?

Dennis
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
What Fred said!

Aimed towards Fred - Remember when everyone had to learn on Windcutter Speys?

Dennis

OH SOOOOOO YES. Your only other option was to find a tackle store in Vancouver, BC or actually in the UK that would sell/ship one out to you. That said, I did ..... but found out that (as now) the Brit's tend to rate their rods differently than we. Frequently what we'd rate as a 8/9 they will mark up as a 9/10 (etc).

Gad, that brings up another question (memories a dud here) prior to the advent of the Sage 9140-4 (followed up by the 7136-4) did anyone else in the US actually build a 2-hander? Ahhhh the days of the old 'Sage Brownies;' still think the 7136 was one of the best two handers ever built.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

My only thought is that - yes, some will disagree - I'm not convinced casting a Scandi line has a shorter learning curve. Scandi lines are short and very light, so they're prone to blown airborne anchors. (Every casting defect becomes magnified. When I tried casting a Windcutter line I was surprised at how easy it was to set up and airborne anchor.)

When casting a Scandi line some anglers just drag the fly across the water. This will work, but it will also prevent us from making the longest possible cast.

With a Skagit line, we don't have to worry about lifting the fly and leader off the water.

Randy
Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Randy does make a valid point; you can easily 'over do it' setting up your anchor placement with a Scandi head. A Scandi, like a Skagit, IS a short headed line.

Slow down and ease up!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

I ended up learning on skagit compact surprisingly. Then moved over to a full skagit. Learning to cast isn't my issue, just want the most practical line. And while casting a skagit line has it perks in winter steelheading, i dont feel its advantageous in the estuary/river fishing for salmon i'll be doing with the rod. I dont like to be throwing the 10-14' of t-14 for salmon, i'd rather be throwing 10 feet of extra super fast poly tip because its just nicer to cast and im rarely throwing flies larger then size 4, and the heaviest they ever become are with bead chain eyes.

I have the reel, + Backing, and am soon to have the rod, i just have to find a line thats going to be most practical.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Gad, that brings up another question (memories a dud here) prior to the advent of the Sage 9140-4 (followed up by the 7136-4) did anyone else in the US actually build a 2-hander? Ahhhh the days of the old 'Sage Brownies;' still think the 7136 was one of the best two handers ever built.
I think that Sage built up the first production two hander rods. I never owned an old "Brownie." I learned on the "Greenie" Euro 6126-3 with a Windcutter Spey.

Dennis