The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/)
-   -   Noob to Switch: Need Help (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/234582-noob-switch-need-help.html)

buckeyeflier 02-01-2012 08:54 AM

Noob to Switch: Need Help

Ok, so last night I pulled the trigger on a switch rod. I got a Redington CPX 7wt switch. I plan on putting my old Teton Tioga 10LA on it.

I'd like to use it primarily for Steelhead to swing flies at low light and nymph the primary portion of the day. So I guess I'll primarily be using it to nymph. I know absolutely nothing about setup so what do I need to get as far as lines?

But I'd also like to use it in the summer for smallies, carp, etc.

I've heard good things about Rio's Skagit short line. Would this allow me to add sinking and floating tips?

What about shooting lines? Please tell me exactly what I'll need to buy from backing up.

thanks.

fredaevans 02-01-2012 09:09 AM

Re: Noob to Switch: Need Help

Just my .02 cents, but from the fishing you've described a Skagit line would not be the best choice. You'll have far broader choices (terminal gear) with a Scandi head. Another thread going where I covered the 'why' of this.

Fred

buckeyeflier 02-01-2012 10:25 AM

Ok, so how about a 390g Airflo Scandi compact? What kind of running line do I need?

okuma 02-02-2012 06:13 AM

I too, have done with a switch rod this season. 11 foot 6 weight traditions II. Being "green" I asked a good friend on the site (Huron River Dan) the how too's. In my situation, I already had a reel set up with 7 weight WFF line. Dan recommended I use poly leaders. So I tried an Extra fast sink. Works fine for me. As far as the other lines you mentioned, for my needs I find them unnecessary. As far as my cast, It's merely and overhead fly cast. I use the rod for better mending and quicker line pick up when I'm fishing for white bass/ walleyes.

okuma 02-02-2012 08:20 AM

Buck,
Not wanting to mislead you, I just went out in the yard and casted with my switch with WFF 7 weight line only. It's easily throwing 70 + feet of line with very little effort. Also there was very little strain on my forearm(which acts up in cold weather)...White bass...BEWARE

buckeyeflier 02-02-2012 09:47 PM

I ended up getting the Wulff Ambush Line in TT-9. I think this should do the trick for most of the fishing I want to do.

wt bash 02-02-2012 09:55 PM

You'll be pleased with your choice in lines I love the Triangle Taper.

johnnie555 03-07-2012 11:56 PM

anyone try any of the Rio Scandi lines??

fredaevans 03-08-2012 01:41 AM

The RIO lines are excellent, just an issue of matching up the length/grains for the rod.

fae