The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

buckeyeflier is on a distinguished road
Default Noob to Switch: Need Help

Ok, so last night I pulled the trigger on a switch rod. I got a Redington CPX 7wt switch. I plan on putting my old Teton Tioga 10LA on it.

I'd like to use it primarily for Steelhead to swing flies at low light and nymph the primary portion of the day. So I guess I'll primarily be using it to nymph. I know absolutely nothing about setup so what do I need to get as far as lines?

But I'd also like to use it in the summer for smallies, carp, etc.

I've heard good things about Rio's Skagit short line. Would this allow me to add sinking and floating tips?

What about shooting lines? Please tell me exactly what I'll need to buy from backing up.

thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noob to Switch: Need Help

Just my .02 cents, but from the fishing you've described a Skagit line would not be the best choice. You'll have far broader choices (terminal gear) with a Scandi head. Another thread going where I covered the 'why' of this.

Fred
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Ok, so how about a 390g Airflo Scandi compact? What kind of running line do I need?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I too, have done with a switch rod this season. 11 foot 6 weight traditions II. Being "green" I asked a good friend on the site (Huron River Dan) the how too's. In my situation, I already had a reel set up with 7 weight WFF line. Dan recommended I use poly leaders. So I tried an Extra fast sink. Works fine for me. As far as the other lines you mentioned, for my needs I find them unnecessary. As far as my cast, It's merely and overhead fly cast. I use the rod for better mending and quicker line pick up when I'm fishing for white bass/ walleyes.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Buck,
Not wanting to mislead you, I just went out in the yard and casted with my switch with WFF 7 weight line only. It's easily throwing 70 + feet of line with very little effort. Also there was very little strain on my forearm(which acts up in cold weather)...White bass...BEWARE
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 PM

I ended up getting the Wulff Ambush Line in TT-9. I think this should do the trick for most of the fishing I want to do.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

You'll be pleased with your choice in lines I love the Triangle Taper.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 PM

johnnie555 is on a distinguished road

anyone try any of the Rio Scandi lines??
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The RIO lines are excellent, just an issue of matching up the length/grains for the rod.

fae