The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New rod blank!

After a whole lot of searching, I finally found the rod blank I was wanting. Thomas and Thomas can roll any blank they ever made pretty much, if you want one. I was talking to a guy at Thomas and Thomas on a completely different subject, when I mentioned I had been looking for a 17' or so rod in an 11 or 12 wt. They had made a 17' 11 wt. and told me they could roll me a blank. Best part of it is, they will sell it to me at the MSRP and not jack the price up as a special order. Nice guys huh? Since I fish near the airport a lot, I may need to put a blinking red light on the end of this when it's done. Yahoo!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: New rod blank!

Dan, that sounds awesome, and a great deal to boot! Looking forward to seein the results, and hopefully seeing it in action in person some time soon!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome up here anytime you want to make it this far. This thing is going to be insane. I'll be able to hit Canada with this thing.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

sounds a lot like you'll be able to hit more than canada....cant wait to see that beast!

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow dan!
a 17' 11 weight
so whats the thing weigh? (arms tiring as i type).
cattech89 likes this.

ARFE
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
so whats the thing weigh? (arms tiring as i type).
I'm not sure, but the 14' 9 wt I'm building is pretty light. I'm just guessing but it can't weigh much more than an ounce or two. Once you start tossing big handles and reel seats on it you have a different story, but even then I doubt it will be to much. Also it's not like casting a single hand rod where you have a bunch of back casts. With a spey rod, in the words of my Canadian friend "a couple quick Ninja moves, and your fly is back out at the piling." By the way, that one made me laugh when he said it. I told him I was going to steal it, and Voila! I just did.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dan this rod sounds wild ! Think your casts are gonna be more like launches. What I want to know is how many guides do you use to build this monster and do they taper down in size or do you repeat some of the sizes? Just curious,
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

I do three stripper guides on big rods like this, 20, 16 and 12. I then go snake guides from 6 to 4. I repeat sizes in in groups. On my Meiser it was two 6's, four 5's and four 4's. It's going to take a couple more guides for this rod, but it'll be close to the same set up.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You're welcome up here anytime you want to make it this far. This thing is going to be insane. I'll be able to hit Canada with this thing.
You gonna have to get a license to fish Canada then?
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You gonna have to get a license to fish Canada then?
I'll be in waders in Minnesota, my fly will be in Canada.........they will have to cross the border to get me.........I can run up the bank when I see the RCMP coming..........Nope, won't need a license.