The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default how do spey and single handed weights compare?

I was thinking of picking up a spey rod as my second rod to get some northern pike and big carp, but i was wondering about the wt. People have suggested 8+ wt single handed rods, would that mean that an 8+ spey rod would be the same fightability? There is an 7/8 spey for sale on another forum, and i was thinking of picking it up, but if its lighter(or whatever you would call fightability) than a single handed 8 wt, i think i'll skip and wait.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do spey and single handed weights compare?

I think that DiverDan can answer this question better than I can, but I will take a shot at it. The performance for fighting a large Northern Pike or carp isn't really an issue. The issue is the delivery of the fly that you want to throw. Basically the rod and the line comprise the delivery system of the fly that you want to throw. Pike flies are very large, therefore a 8 or 9 weight Spey rod may be required. A 7 weight Spey with its matching line might be undergunned to deliver such a large fly.

MP
Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

ya good point. my brother has an 8wt 1 handed rod and it wasn't able to cast the wet bunny leech too well, though we are just starting out and aren't used to such large flies yet.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In terms of fly delivery, a "8wt" spey line will basically work like a 10wt single hander, though it depends on leader length, if sink tips are used, etc.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
In terms of fly delivery, a "8wt" spey line will basically work like a 10wt single hander, though it depends on leader length, if sink tips are used, etc.

Missed this thread, so more than a bit late 'chiming in.' Single hander lines and 2-hander lines are worlds apart and there's darned little way to compare one to the other. A two hander takes far more 'grains' to load the rod than comparable numbered one hander. To give a simple example a 3wt one hander line will be right at 160 grains, a 3wt two hander will require 275-325 to achieve the same function (or close to twice).

Then you toss into the mix that the grain weight of a single hander is measured over the first 30 feet and a 2-hander could be as short as 26 foot for a light Skagit set up to as much as 105'ish feet for Carron's or XLT long belly lines.

Too make it even more interesting, up to fairly recently, the UK 'standard' for a 2-hander line had little relationship what what was produced here in the States. It could cost you some big bucks to discover that what 'we'd' call a 9wt line a comparable UK produced (in terms of grain weights) would actually be a 10 or an 11!

Brit's buying our lines obviously ran into just the reverse problem; you needed to down size unless you wanted (purposely) to 'over-line' your 2-hander.

One other thing to toss into the mix here (one hander line development) is line design; not much of that's 'really new' for years (I'll leave line coating and such out of that).

Two hander lines? Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a new one (design) coming on the market annually. I really do wonder how many ways there are to 're-invent the wheel?'

fae

Sigh .... probably why many of us have so damned many lines rolled up and in zip-lock bags?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Fred,

How would you view so-called "switch" rods, supposedly for both two-handed and single-handed casting?

Neil
Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Neil, with a true 'switch rod' these (with few, and I mean very few) exceptions were all designed to cast two hander lines. You can 'single hand' cast a spey line, but a regular 1-hander line wouldn't have any where near enough 'grains' to load the rod.

fae
Old 08-05-2010, 03:34 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a question along the same lines (no pun intended).

Comments on this forum have stated that a SH rod rated with 2 numbers (7/8 or 5/6) the dual ratings indicate the appropriate line weights when using either a DT or a WF line on the same rod.

I have noticed that a few spey rods are rated with single numbers, but most of them are rated with 2 numbers (7/8, etc.). What do the dual ratings indicate on a spey rod - diffrent line weights for different types of lines? If so, what are the line types/weights the ratings indicate. Thanks,
Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
I have noticed that a few spey rods are rated with single numbers, but most of them are rated with 2 numbers (7/8, etc.). What do the dual ratings indicate on a spey rod - diffrent line weights for different types of lines? If so, what are the line types/weights the ratings indicate. Thanks,
I think most of us use a spey rod rating as just a beginning to selecting the kind of rod we want for a particular kind/size of water, particular kind/size of fish, and a particular kind of fishing. Often the rods have very large grain windows, which allow for adjustments within a broad range of fishing styles. One angler with 7 weight spey rod will enjoy throwing 450 grains with it, while another will perform better with 550 grains on the same rod, while yet another will push it to 650 and do just great. I guess my point is you might end up trying a quite a few different combos before you find what works best for you.

Here's an affta chart, but I'd say it's almost useless.... I have a 7 weight that beautifully casts a 520 scandi and a 585 skagit.

AFFTA approved spey line weight standards table - Fly Fishing Forums
Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Neil, with a true 'switch rod' these (with few, and I mean very few) exceptions were all designed to cast two hander lines. You can 'single hand' cast a spey line, but a regular 1-hander line wouldn't have any where near enough 'grains' to load the rod.

fae
I just found this out when contemplating the "switch" to a switch rod for larger river Steel fishing this winter. I wanted to get an 8 wt. switch rod to go along with my 9 1/2 ft. 7 wt single hand rod that I use for fishing larger and smaller waters. What I found out was that using my 3.5 size Lamson would not work as the reel. I had no idea that 8 wt. line for this would be different than "standard" 8 wt. fly line. I actually changed my mind because I didn't want to buy the entire new outfit, reel and switch rod. I ended up buying a 10 ft. 8 wt. for the larger water.

I still have the itch to try a switch or spey rod and will do so some day. But I'll try one first before I go all out on a set up that's for sure. It's a big outlay of cash.