The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Cabela's TLr Spey Rod

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this two-handed rod? I am looking at the 11 foot 6 weight as an introduction to the spey world.

Here's a link,
Cabela's: Cabela's TLr Fly Rods

Been trying to wrap my head around matching lines to rods for two hand casting and one thing I did observe is that it can get really expensive really fast when your two or three lines deep and I'd really like to avoid that.

Thanks for any advice! Take it easy on me, when it comes to two handed rods and spey casting I know next to nil! I've been trying to avoid it because I don't need another thing to sink money into but it's getting hard.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Cabela's TLr Spey Rod

I guess it will be a good rod for the buck. If you like Spey fishing you can always upgrade later. I like Cabelas rods.

Now you have to decide do you want a compact Scandi or Skagit.

A Scandi is great for lighter flies. A Skagit is great for heavier flies and
sinking tips. (With a Skagit you'll also need a special tip. With a Scandi you'll need a polyleader.

Also, I like shooting heads so I can switch back and forth between lines.

Randy
Old 03-10-2012, 12:13 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Thanks Randy. I know it's not going to be the best but at it's really the only offering at that price point that I've found. I guess I just wanted to make sure it's not worthless. Also trying to figure out the grain window so I don't end up buying anything twice.
Most of my rods cost me less then a hundred bucks and they work well for me so I am more then ok with budget rods. Wish I could afford something better but if I get hooked into spey casting where there's a will there's a way and I'm sure I'll upgrade.

Was thinking about going the Scandi route with a running line to a shooting head, I figure that way down the road I swap heads if my preferences change. I am not sure if one has an easier learning curve then the other though.

Still figuring things out and trying to learn as much as I can.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Actually. If I have been practicing casts like the double spey and snap T with a single rod would that be more suited with a Skagit head then a scandi? Or does it not matter?

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Just got an email back from cabela's CS that I would be looking at a 152-168 grain line to match with the rod. Does that seem really light?
I asked about the 13 ft 8wt. That might be a better fit.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Ok the 13 foot 8 weight is 202-218gr. I was thinking about going with that rod, 20lb runnning line and the Airflo scandi compact shooting head and I already have a reel that will work. I'm going to try to do this for under 200 bucks.

I like that the forum just globs all my posts into one so it doesn't look like I am talking to myself

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Ok the 13 foot 8 weight is 202-218gr. I was thinking about going with that rod, 20lb runnning line and the Airflo scandi compact shooting head and I already have a reel that will work. I'm going to try to do this for under 200 bucks.
Hi Carl,

At this stage of experience I'm of the opinion that unless a rod has 'no' action at all, just about any rod will make a good entry level piece. As for 11' vs. 13', I say go long. I'm sure I could make my casts with an 11' switch rod but I know that I will have to put more effort into casting. If you are going to do it then do it with the longer heavier rod. Don't let the 8 weight rating turn you away, I catch many small fish on my 13' #9 and it's just as rewarding as catching them on a 3 weight, but much easier.

Given that the river being fished is big enough to host the long rods, I equate the length of the rod into 'less effort needed to reach a desired cast'. I now have a second two hand rod, 15' with a 875 grain 66' head. The strategy is that I figure to reach what would be a long cast needing lots of effort from me with a 13' #9 with relative ease using the bigger rod. These rods should make your fishing of streamers and large wet flies easier, not harder, so............ Go Long

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks Ard!
I went ahead and ordered the 13' rod, I don't think it will be too big for the water and anyway this is about learning how to cast and everything I've read says it's harder to learn on a shorter rod.
Cabela's customer service was on point and had an answer back to me within 10 minutes of emailing my questions. It's hard to ask for anything better then that.

Seems like this thread was more me looking for an excuse not to buy it and you guys didn't provide one fast enough. Now when my girlfriend glares at me I can blame y'all!

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:11 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Thanks Ard!
I went ahead and ordered the 13' rod, I don't think it will be too big for the water and anyway this is about learning how to cast and everything I've read says it's harder to learn on a shorter rod.
Cabela's customer service was on point and had an answer back to me within 10 minutes of emailing my questions. It's hard to ask for anything better then that.

Seems like this thread was more me looking for an excuse not to buy it and you guys didn't provide one fast enough. Now when my girlfriend glares at me I can blame y'all!
Check out the Rio website; they have a spey page section where you can look up your rod and get a line recommendation.

Dan
Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

'Cast your eyes to the Sun before casting your dollars to the Earth.'

See you soon.

Fred