The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 AM

paulfish_1 is on a distinguished road
Default Scotland fishing clip.....

Thought I would share this wee clip with you guys accross the pond. Its Ian Gordon showcasing a tiny bit of the wonderful fishing we have! Enjoy...

Tight lines
Paul
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Scotland fishing clip.....

Hi Paul,

I moved your film clip to our Spey fishing forum threads. The rivers are beautiful and I simply love the action / flex of the mens rod. Our rods are so stiff it is hard to feel your way through the cast. Do you know what that is he is using?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Cool video, interesting stuff over there. Say Ard, that rod in the very begining looked alot like that Sharpes Glass 14' we were looking at on the auction site. Everything was looking the same until I saw what looked like...spliced ferruls?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I went back and read the tag in the rod bag; says C. Playair & Co. there is one letter between 'Play' and 'air' that I cant make out. Never saw one but will start watching for them. Beautiful action, especially for my rivers and casting style.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

C. Playfair & Co from I was reading about them it looks like it might be a classic Greenheart rod! Definitely pretty cool!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:47 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

That is a pretty rose tinted vision of salmon fishing in Scotland! The main thing is the sun shining because it rains a lot in Scotland!
Anyway there are many who say Spey casting really developed on the Ness.

I would also say calling the Findhorn (I admit I haven't fished it) the beautiful river in Scotland is a big claim. I would say the Alness is mine.

Don't let this stop any of you guys heading over to fish because there is some fantastic fishing there but it can be very expensive and not necessarily that productive. The ghillies are great and all of those I have met have been excellent casters, tutors and comedians.

If anyone wants any advice about fishing in Scotland feel free to pm me.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:14 PM

paulfish_1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for moving the post. I wasnt sure I had put it in the right place.

I think Ian is using the old playfair rod in the film to emphasise the traditions of specasting in Scotland. This company was based in Aberdeen. You would struggle to find an angler in Scotland nowadays fishing with these cane/greenheart rods regularly.

Agree with zeo, to an extent. The fishing is also not alway as prolific as eg. Russia but if you timed it right and did a bit of research you would be in with more than a chance.

As for the weather, its not always raining, I remember a day last month it stopped for a bit haha and anyway, my dad always says "no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes"

And you haven't even mentioned the midgies yet!

Glad you all enjoyed watching the clip.
Tight lines
Paul
Old 04-22-2012, 01:54 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

How could I forget the midgies!!! So far I haven't encountered any nasty insects while fishing in Wyoming. I did get a few mosquito bites in Casper last summer on my porch but not on the water.
I had a look at your blog Paul and I see you and I have fished some of the same waters. My favourite Dee beat is Commonty though.
I didn't mean to put anyone off fishing Scotland because the fishing can be fantastic but it ain't the Ponoi or Alaska. Right place, right weather, right water and actually fish being there. Can be hard to get all of these right sometimes.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

makes me wanna go there. that landscape is incredable..