The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default switch rod questions

I'm looking at an 11' Wright McGill 5wt switch rod on eBay, but know nothing about switch/spey.

I fish still water most frequently (lakes & ponds), but many good fishing spots offer no room for a back-cast. Fish range from 6" bluegills to 4-5# bass.

Basic question for now:
Will a wff line work for learning the casting basics & what weight would best match a 5wt switch rod. (I have reels with everything from 3wt to 9wt wff lines already on them)

I did a bit more research on the rod and it's listed as a "classic spey rod".
I figured the price was good enough ($159) to take a chance, so I ordered it.
It's listed as medium taper / full flex if that means anything when it comes to compatible lines.

Last edited by wabi; 05-14-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: switch rod questions

I am by no means an expert on switch rods as I've acquired one only last fall but from what I have learned thus far, you could use a non spey or switch specific line on it though you would likely need to bump up from a 5wt line to something in the 6 to 7, possibly 8wt range all depending on the line and manufacturer. Finding the right line for your switch or spey rod can take trial and error and lines aren't exactly cheap. There is also a custom line maker that many in the know seem to rave about who can provide you with a line that will match your rod perfectly. Apparently for a similar price to a new line.

Then there's the reel to deal with. You will need something that has more reel capacity than a 5wt, likely something in the 6-8wt range depending on the type of line you intend to pair up with it.

Some of the line manufacturers such as Rio and Airflo have charts on their websites that have line recommendations for rods though as a quick scan I didn't see your rod listed in the PDF's that I downloaded. It may be worth a look to see if they have been updated recently.

The Wulff Ambush line seems to be a popular line for switch rods, this is a pretty good read that might give you some perspective.

http://royalwulff.com/products/ambush-fly-line/http://

Now I'll let some of the experts give you real advice
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

So far "41" you're dead on. The general rule of thumb of single hander lines on a 2-hander is up two line weights.

One other great option is to have Steve Gotshall do a custom cut for you. Won't cost you a penny more than some thing off the shelf but you'll be dead on for the rod, the application(s) AND your casting style.

Steve makes custom cuts for almost all of the R B Meiser and ACR (Gary Anderson) two handers. You can contact Steve at stevegodshall@charter.net or 541 840 2594.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the vote of confidence fred, much appreciated BTW, I like the "41" name reference fred, good stuff!

Steve Gotshall is the gentleman I referred to but did not name. I have heard nothing but wonderful experiences going this route--possibly the only exception being folks end up with line they bought off the shelf and no longer have use for. I have not dealt yet with him but am considering looking into it.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Roger on the 'lots of left-over lines;' have bags of them. Steve's got just about every 2-hander dialed in as to the type of line it needs to be loaded with. But as there are a lot of 'variables' (kind of water, fish expected, you casting style, yada-yada .... but be ready for a 20 minute phone call.

Repeating myself here, but I've several of Steve's lines (they go on 'A Rod' and stay there) and they're a total treat as you have (only) a rough idea what will show up in the Post Box.

You and I have the same rod, exact same rod .... the odds of you getting the 'exact' same line are about 1 in 10. But as I said, each line is a 'one off' for the combo of conditions noted above. As an example I've three 7wt two handers (well actually four) designed/built/different lengths (max top to bottom is 12 inches.

The lines for each of these three rods is different in length and grain weight. All work a total treat on their specific rod (Sage, Burkie and Anderson).
Old 05-14-2012, 06:45 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Thanks for the replies!

I have been looking at switch & spey rods for a year or two now and often been tempted to take the plunge and order one, but it's been a lot of doubt on my end that's kept me from ordering.
I hate to invest in a complete outfit (rod, reel, line(s)) and find it's not really an advantage over single hand rods for my fishing needs & style.

I stumbled across this rod while looking for a 5wt single hand rod and after some quick checking on the internet I have to think the seller has purchased some stock to re-sell and knows nothing about rods. The add has a single hand rod pictured, but the description (clipped & pasted) from Wright McGills site for the correct model number, and the same price as the single hand rods. From what I can find the rod was around $300 new, is fairly good quality, and might be a bargain at that price.

Anyway, I went ahead and "clicked", so I should have it in a week or two.

I'll probably try a wf7f and a wf8f line on it to get the feel of the rod, and the feel of casting it. I've been having some problems with my right wrist (I'm right-handed) and hopefully the rod will relieve some of the strain roll casting a single handed rod puts on the wrist. Not bad pain in the wrist, but an hour or two of roll casting is usually enough fun for one day.

If I like the rod and casting style I'll be ordering a line for it, and the "custom" line sounds like a good investment!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Gotcha fred, thanks again for the info and insight. Much appreciated!

Congratulations wabi! Let us know your thoughts once you get it and have had a chance to play around with it. My guess is that you'll find it useful, I haven't had mine out at a lake to practice or fish with yet, but I do intend to. I played around with a switch one day last fall on a stream and decided that I "needed" to add one to the quiver