The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ruby river

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM

ruby river is on a distinguished road
Default New England Spey Clave

It is hard to believe that the first NESC has come and gone. There are so many people to say thank you to that I will try to get you all but if I miss you, please don't take offense. Thanks to Andrew who arrived in the wee hours of the morn to make sure we had the pavillion reserved for the day. Andy B., President of FRAA was also there tying flies. Tommy B., VP from FRAA was also there helping out. The FRAA was our sponsor this year and without which there would not have been a clave. The Compleat Angler from Darien, CT. made lunch for everyone which was greatly appreciated.

We had a great turn-out for vendors. Jake, from TFO donated a Deer Creek rod for a raffle and the proceeds - over $200.00 - were donated to the FRAA. Brad, from Sage brought out several of the new two handed ONE rods for the attendees to try. From what I understand this was the debut of these rods in this country - you can't beat that for a first time event!

"DR. BOB" - from Speypags posted the following, "Thank you to the organizers of today's event. It was invaluable to cast the rods. Thank you to Scott from Compleat Angler for providing food! Nice job! Tks... "

"DAnderson" - from Speypages posted, "I want to thank all of the sponsors for their efforts to make the New England Spey Clave a success. Most all of the major rod companies had rods in the popular line weights for practice casting. Compleat Anglers put on a great lunch using their barbecue grill and it was enjoyed by all. Fred Krowchenko and Jerry Jahn gave valuable advice on spey casting. Andrew Moy was very helpful with his on the water demos as well as personal instruction.

I hope there will be another New England Spey Clave next year."

Kurt J. told us after it was all over that at one time he counted "over 100" attendees; and they were there for most of the day. I have to tell you, I had no idea what this event was going to be like but I can tell you it was a good turn-out despite the cloudy day. I asked Eric, the Beulah rep if he would come back next year and he said, "Yes! Just look at this. We were busy all day!!" Does it get any better than that?

"JiffyJump" - from Speypages wrote, "Thanks to Fred, Jerry, Mark, Mary, and all the folks who helped make the day really informative and fun. Lots of rods to try out and fellow Spey casters to meet and chat with! Andrew Moy did a great class once again,

Worth the three hour drive for me. "

So, will there be another New England Spey Clave in 2013?

Interested in seeing some pictures from the clave?

you can check the blog

New England Spey Clave

or you can check us out on Facebook

New England Spey Clave!!

Better yet, "Like" us on Facebook and spread the word!!

Tight Lines,
Mary
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New England Spey Clave

Hi Mary,

I'm happy to see that the Clave went well for the Nor Easter's. Generally we don't allow blog links to direct our members off site but your post is in the spirit of angling and not promotional so..... it's cool with me for a one time thing.

We have a small but very fishing savvy group of 2 hand fishermen here who frequent our Spey threads. We aren't Spey pages and that's cool too. You are welcome to visit us and to post about your fishing experiences any time.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New England Spey Clave

Great read Mary, thanks for posting up.

Fred
Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM

ruby river is on a distinguished road

Hello Ard,

Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes with my posting - just trying to get a new clave up and running. This was the only clave in New England this year and the turn out was pretty good. Next year should be even better.

If it is ok with you can I post next year's event but leave out the blog information?

Mary
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That will be fine Mary,

We have a fledgling Spey group here on the forum and a Spey Fishers Social Group where 2 hand rod chat occurs. Perhaps you will find your way to these and post with us as time permits.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: New England Spey Clave

NUTS!

Forgot to add, you're doing a 2-hander 'thing,' well probably a single hander too, be sure to post this/that up on the SpeyPages web Forum.

Largest of it's kind from Western Europe to the Far East.

I kid you not.