The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got the new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I'm by no means a two handed expert but a 5wt that throws a 525gr line just isn't a 5wt in my opinion...
Another one that is by no means an expert but you are correct. I know this because Wabi mentioned in another thread that the rod he had purchased was labeled a 5wt but actually is not. I think he said somewhere between an 8 and 9wt if memory serves me well.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable time with it Wabi. Giving this two handed thing a thumbs up yet?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

When I weighed the grains it took to deflect the tip 1/3 of the rod length (common cents system) Steve Godshall converted it to an 8.9 weight.

I'm thinking of trying a 9wt switch line (Rio) after I get some experience casting.
I'm going to tie up a couple relatively heavy flies (and maybe cut the hook point off for safety while I practice) and try on it next trip out. It seems like it would cast a brick on the end of the leader with the short Skagit head.

On the other end of the spectrum I got a dt2f line for a 3wt fiberglass rod I own this week and it cast much better than the wf3f line I had been using. Got to thinking about the "common cents" system and came home and measured the rod. It's closer to a 1wt than a 3wt using that system.

At least I'm covered for most of the fishing possibilities around home now. With rods from 1wt to 9wt I should be able to cast a wide variety of flies.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Well I am hardly an expert but I was thinking that since spey rods weight designations were different then single handed rods which has left "switch rods" in kind of a grey area and you have to make sure to find out if it's rated as a Spey Rod or a single handed right with a double handed grip.
An 11' 5wt Spey rod would be a great rod for summer steelhead over here. A bit big for most trout fishing (in my opinion).
I've been told that you should add three to the wt. of a spey rod to find out what kind of single handed line it would toss. I usually associate a skagit head of that size with a 7wt spey but Steve knows things I never will! hah.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
For me it was to slow down a bit and make the stop at the end of the cast a very positive stop.
Slow is the way to go. Speed is not our friend in spey casting. The hard high stop is also a very important thing. After the stop you can drift down and aim down the running line but you need the stop. If you're shooting 35' of running line already you are catching on fast. Congrats on the progress. Sounds like you are catching on fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Well I am hardly an expert but I was thinking that since spey rods weight designations were different then single handed rods which has left "switch rods" in kind of a grey area and you have to make sure to find out if it's rated as a Spey Rod or a single handed right with a double handed grip.
All very true. I just look at the grain window for the rod and ignore the rest. If you use a shorter head go to the low end of the wiondow. Long head go to the high end. Even better, if you can find someone who has the same rod, ask what grain line they have and how long the head is. Also, you may want to find out what style casting they are doing. Scandi and Skagit have become very popular and I do neither. I like the traditional top hand does 60 - 70% of the work. I can cast farther with that style. It may make some difference in how a line works on your rod. For example, I just bought a line with a 95' head. You aren't casting that Scandi style.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Nice acquisition Mike, you should join us here: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ial-group.html
Mike, saw your message above and posted in my thoughts.
fae
Old 06-03-2012, 03:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
An 11' 5wt Spey rod would be a great rod for summer steelhead over here. A bit big for most trout fishing (in my opinion).
I've been told that you should add three to the wt. of a spey rod to find out what kind of single handed line it would toss. I usually associate a skagit head of that size with a 7wt spey but Steve knows things I never will! hah.
A 5wt switch/spey rod should never be able to yhrow a 500+ gr line. It's a flat out mistake on Wright McGills part. I took a stab at this one but Since this is Wabi's first two handed rod and his intention was to get a "5wt" my guess is he wanted something that would cast a 300-350gr line. I know he does alot of still, warm water fishing for Pan fish and Bass. I'm pretty sure a 500gr line isn't what he wanted to be waving around.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I'm not sure, but I think it is an 8wt spey.
Looked up my measurements I took for the "common cents" rating and it comes up with an ERN of 10.84!

I tried casting a wf9f line (overhead cast) again today, and it feels like the line is failing to really load the rod. I'm guessing a wf11f line would match the rod pretty well. I may see if I can pick up an 11wt line to try on it.

I did want a much lighter rod, but I'll still hang on to this one. I can still learn the basics of spey casting with it, then figure out just what weight would fit most of my fishing best and buy a better rod. Also thinking something a bit longer would probably be a wise move.

I can still use this rod for my Ohio river fishing. I like to hit the warmwater discharge at the local powerplant(s) in late winter. Some big fish, and a good variety when most of the water is hard (ice).
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM

UPDATE -
Found a WF11F Scientific Anglers Sharkskin saltwater taper line on eBay for a really good price, so I ordered it!
Got the line today and spooled it on my new Okuma Sierra 10/11 reel.
Took it to the local lake this evening, but the wind was making it tough to really judge the performance. It did feel like the line was a good match for the rod for overhead casting and I was able to get casts of over 75' feet out with the wind coming from slightly behind me on my left side.
This wasn't double-hauling or pushing for distance - just a simple overhead cast!
Not sure what my maximum distance was, but it's a 110' line and I could see the backing through a layer on line still on the reel.

Now I'm waiting on a spare spool for the 10/11 reel and I'm going to add a 100' "shooting line" (regular coated line) behind the shooting head & tip and see what it will do spey casting in moving water.

My best guess at this point is that the rod is an 8wt spey / 11wt single hand.
It sure handles the WF11F line like it's a very good match!
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a great time and are getting the rod dialed in Wabi! Good stuff. That Sharkskin really moves through the guides, doesn't it?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:44 PM

davidschotzko is on a distinguished road

Hi
Found this thread doing some line research. I just got a great deal on one of these W&M 11ft mystery rods. It's driving me crazy. Since this thread's a bit old, I'm wondering if anyone an give me an update on the line search for this thing? Is it really a 520 grain rod???
D
wannafish likes this.