The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:27 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default got the new rod

Ordered a Wright McGill switch/spey rod and got it today.
An 11' rated at 5wt - and the rating was WAY off!

Contacted Steve Godshall and he had me check the rod deflection using the "common cents" method. The rod is actually an 8.9 weight.
Took it out and tried overhead casting with a wf9f line, and it matched the rod fairly well.

Steve is sending me a 525 gr Rio Skagit head and 2 of his tips to try on the rod.

Not the rod I wanted, but if I can get the feel of spey casting with it I'll probably soon be ordering a 3-4 wt 12' rod Steve highly recommended.
mridenour likes this.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got the new rod

Man that's bittersweet news there Wabi. Great that you got the rod, bummer that it was off. Good to hear that you connected with Steve and got something worked out. That would make a fine Great Lakes Steelhead Rod or even give you something to go after some toothy critters with. Hopefully you enjoy it enough to stick with it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

What I can't figure is how the labeled weight of the rod is so far off.
If I can spey cast with the line Steve is shipping I'll keep the rod for my "river rod" for those trips in mid-winter when I venture to the Ohio river to fish the hot water outlet at the local power plant. There are some big fish in those waters in late winter.

Looking at a 5/6wt 14' spey rod now and just waiting until I can cast the beast I purchased before I make the final decision.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

So did you get that new line and have you had a chance to play around with the switch yet?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Still waiting on the line to arrive...........................
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice acquisition Mike, you should join us here: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ial-group.html

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM

Here's hoping that you get the line soon Wabi. Let us know what your thoughts are once you've had a chance to sling some line. I'm anxious to hear what your thoughts are on the two hander.

Ard,

Never knew that spot was there. I'll be joining shortly
Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I can't help but wonder if the Common Cents System applieswell to spey rods. I know a Doctor invented it and all but is it infallible under all circumstances?
Anyhow, congrats on the new rod. Keep us posted on your progress with it.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 AM

Got the Skagit head & tips today.
Weather was terrible here (cool, rain, high wind), but I spooled everything on the reel and headed for the local lake for a test drive.
Tried 25kg braided dacron as backing/shooting line and after several casts I was doing as well as I had expected to, but had the feeling the dacron was holding back distance.
Came home and added 60' of Rio "Slick Shooter" between the backing and head.
Not a huge increase in distance, but I feel like it's an improvement.
Took my son along on the second trip to the lake (he took his spinning rod - and caught a LM bass the first cast). I was getting better results with the shooting line (could also be I'm improving on my cast ) and slowly figured out the timing for a better cast. For me it was to slow down a bit and make the stop at the end of the cast a very positive stop. Had only about 30-35' of shooting line stripped off the reel, but I got that much out a few times.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm by no means a two handed expert but a 5wt that throws a 525gr line just isn't a 5wt in my opinion...