The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 07:41 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default What else is needed.

Hi folks, I am in the process of considering a 12,6ft 6wt spey rod and need info on What else is needed. Backing- spey line I get its the changable tips and leader setups I do know how to setup. Im used to just putting on a tapered leader or length of mono right to my flyline using loop to loop. Suggestions on easy to learn spey lines greatly welcome. I am looking to throw rubber worms and like flys for bass and other large freshwater beasties.
Mike
Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What else is needed.

You can do the research. I'll point you in a general direction.

Study up on Scandinavian style and Skagit style casting. Both use different lines, tips, and leader setups.

You will come across the terms "MOW tips," "T-14," "T-11," "T-8," "Versileader," "polyleader." Get familiar with them.

Go to the Rio Spey page. It has some general information of Spey style fishing.

Dennis
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What else is needed.

thanks Dennis. been looking around at stuff. looking to build a good multi used set up for larger flys.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
You can do the research. I'll point you in a general direction.

Study up on Scandinavian style and Skagit style casting. Both use different lines, tips, and leader setups.

You will come across the terms "MOW tips," "T-14," "T-11," "T-8," "Versileader," "polyleader." Get familiar with them.

Go to the Rio Spey page. It has some general information of Spey style fishing.

Dennis
that is an awsome page.. Ill be reading it a few times...

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:26 PM ----------

well, after reading alot and chating with Evan at Allen, I have narrowed my search down to the Rio Scandi short versitip. will see.. should have the rod soon... yep Im joining the ranks of spey fishers.