The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 12:42 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Re: Its Offical. It has Arrived. Allen Olympic

Nice! I've been using one of those in 7 weight to swing for steelhead.
Been happy with a 500gr Skagit head to cast a sink tip and the big stuff.
I've always been under the impression that the Skagit head system is pretty newbie friendly but more known to be a bit clunkier in presentation.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing pictures and fish stories. Mine is matched up with an Alpha II 9/10. Also a huge fan of the company and the guys that run it.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:56 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

I suggested the Scandi Short Versi-tip based on its versatility and newbie friendliness. A Skagit would also be a great choice, but there's more pieces to purchase (separate sink tips) and all that.

Also, the Scandi Short Versitip Rio line is more of a Scandi-Skagit hybrid... Leaning more toward a Skagit style in my opinion. A line fully capable of turning over a heavy fly.
mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks again Evan. Ill be building this rig up soon. with green alpha II. the skagit scandi hybrid remark also matched the video from rio.
Mike
Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

just got my AlphaII green #4 in. another part of the puzzel completed
ak allen likes this.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 PM

should see my rio scandi versitip line and slick shooter line. the rig is almost complete!

MIke
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to see the pics of it.
I now own 3 of the alpha reels, and although I have not used them yet, I'm sure I'll be happy. I will put them to the test in Belize in Aug....See how the Alpha II hold up to the power of 20# permit.....

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 PM

pics and video you can count on it. my 3rd allen reel, second rod haha. at what point am I a collector..
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Mike you're going to like it when the package comes together. I've been fishing my 12' 5wt more lately, and it's currently sitting next to me in the airport in Amsterdam waiting to depart for Sweden where it will hopefully be taking on pike and char outside its weight class. That Scandi Short line is a nice one too, I got to throw it around at Somerset. I think I'll be ordering it as well when the money comes in, but I'm making due with a Beulah Elixir 5/6 with a 10' Rio versi-tip right now thanks to it being on a very healthy sale.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Hey Mike I can't wait to see some action shots!
I'll be taking my Olympic out this week for the next episode of my fruitless pursuit of a summer steelhead.

Hey Evan if you see this post what AFS head would you recommend for the 12'6" 7wt Rod for fishing poppers on the surface? Nothing beats the skagit for the big stuff but I also want to try something more delicate.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Hey Mike I can't wait to see some action shots!
I'll be taking my Olympic out this week for the next episode of my fruitless pursuit of a summer steelhead.

Hey Evan if you see this post what AFS head would you recommend for the 12'6" 7wt Rod for fishing poppers on the surface? Nothing beats the skagit for the big stuff but I also want to try something more delicate.
me and Evan taked about that also, thats why I went withthe scandi versitip,