The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Its Offical. It has Arrived. Allen Olympic

Just got my Allen Olympic in 12,6 6wt in today. my second Allen rod, and all looks good as expected.

Click the image to open in full size.

Still need to order the Alpha II #4 reel, once I decide on a color.
I plan to put the Rio Scandi Short Versitip on it in #6 as recomended by Evan at Allen. Ill update as I go. this is my first venture into spey, even though I have no salmon rivers I see a use for this flinging large bass flys and rubber worms. wish me luck!
Mike
gt05254 and ak allen like this.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its Offical. It has Arrived. Allen Olympic

Are you sure flinging large bass flies with a Scandi Short head would be best? Big flies, especially if they are built with bulk, are flung best with a Skagit style head.

Congrats to your new rod.

Dennis
Old 06-02-2012, 01:30 AM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Nice rod let us know how it performs!
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I haven't owned an Allen yet, but had an opportunity to try a few casts with an Allen prototype about a month ago. Loved the feel and the way that it loaded. Another plus, is that I've never read a bad comment or review about their rods or their customer service. I, too, feel an Allen rod in my future....

Yours looks great! Congratulations, and many tight lines with it!!
mbphotos54 likes this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 06-02-2012, 02:22 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

X2 about hearing how it performs!
Gary
Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

thanks yall, As for using skagit over the scandi, I read the rio spey guide, and other sorces here. all say the scandi lines are smoother and easier to cast for spey noobs like me. and from the rio video on the scandi short video it seems like it has some of the skagit feel also,, but I dont know at this point. I figure start start with easier to learn line that will still toss streamers and poppers and the like. I think I narrowed it down to a green Alpha II #4 reel.

the grey finish on the rod works with any color reel..
Mike
Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

Congratulations on your new Allen Olympic rod. I own 5 Allen rods and love them all.
mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:27 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Indeed! Nice rod choice! I love every Allen product I have ever purchased including my rod. They are my first choice for new gear.
mbphotos54 likes this.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Looking forward to hearing the stories to come Mike, Nice rig.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 PM

I have become a bit of an Allen gear nut,, Im pretty much sure theyll have what I need for any fly fishing rig. I might have a chance to try casting my 8wt line on it in a day or so, Itll be a bit before I get the rest of this rig ordered.
cattech89 likes this.