The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A 1981 Hardy Spey at home in Alaska;

I had the chance to take the new / old, Hardy rod fishing yesterday. What I have been wanting is a rod that I could feel the flex & load taking place in as the cast developed. With a Spey cast timing is everything but for me feel can be considered an equal if I'm to be able to send the fly on target with consistent results.

These photos (we don't do videos) show some flex and load characteristics of the rod. Now I have to readjust my stops and all will be well. I really like this rod!

Loading & Launch;

Click the image to open in full size.

The cast & fly are on their way; this is about a 60' cast plus the 10' of leader. Not much call for any longer casts on my usual haunts.

Although I have the upper hand driving the cast there is actually not a whole lot of effort being used. There is a substantial amount of speed in the stroke at startup and I can see the energy that the rod is snapping into the cast at the stop. When I start making a slightly higher stop the casts will go farther but I was shooting to and under an alder across and down on these casts. I don't profess to be real good at this but I find that the driving with the rod and the low stop give me a tight loop that will get the fly under things like trees and overhanging brush.

By the way, after all this fishing I never raised a trout. We are still about a week away from seeing any significant number of salmon in the river here.

A few more pictures

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-02-2012, 07:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A 1981 Hardy Spey at home in Alaska;

Looks like a great day on the water Ard. It's always a blast breaking in new or new to you gear. Even if the fish aren't in the streams yet you've got some time to practice with the new setup. Looks like it's paired with a Cascapedia?

Great photos and really nice loops
Old 06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jay & thanks,

The jury is still out on whether it is new or not. It shows no real signs of use but was perhaps taken fishing a few times. I found it in mint / new condition being sold by a fellow in the UK. The reel is a Cascapedia from the original run of Mk. II reels made in the UK as well as the line being an Ian Gordon long belly that was marketed by Partridge up until about 5 years ago. I managed to find a fellow who was sitting on half a dozen of the lines still new in the cans. I've always been wanting a british set of tackle and have accomplished it after all these years.

The picture with the cast coming at you slightly off to the left....... I had to be real careful with that one because Nancy was looking through the camera at that. I I were to smack my photographer with a size 1.5 steelhead fly who knows what would happen to me

cattech89 likes this.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics Ard....glad you like this "new oldschool" rod....who deserves an awardthe caster or the photographer....think I'm going to vote for.....Nancy
Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Administrator

I'll tell her that you are putting her in the number one spot but she already has taken the bows

Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great stuff ard! love that river??

casey

ARFE
Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

So cool! I dig the third picture a lot!
Looking forward to hearing about the first big bend in the rod.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Jay & thanks,

The jury is still out on whether it is new or not. It shows no real signs of use but was perhaps taken fishing a few times. I found it in mint / new condition being sold by a fellow in the UK. The reel is a Cascapedia from the original run of Mk. II reels made in the UK as well as the line being an Ian Gordon long belly that was marketed by Partridge up until about 5 years ago. I managed to find a fellow who was sitting on half a dozen of the lines still new in the cans. I've always been wanting a british set of tackle and have accomplished it after all these years.

The picture with the cast coming at you slightly off to the left....... I had to be real careful with that one because Nancy was looking through the camera at that. I I were to smack my photographer with a size 1.5 steelhead fly who knows what would happen to me

Stretcher? I think you would need a bodybag, I've seen her swing the axe! Nice loops Ard, and compliments to Nancy on the lens. milt
Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Ard.
Beaut Pics 1 & 2 Showing the movemement of both The Rod Tip & The Line.
Also looks a great Rod,Mr Hardy knew how to Build Spey Rods.
Brian.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to see she's working out for you Ard (the new rod...not Nancy).

Looking forward to seeing some nice fish landed with the new rig.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*