Your Fly Of The Week;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For the two hand fishing members here's a thread just for your fly. If you are fishing the wet fly and have a successful week's or days fishing with a particular pattern post us a report please. If you can put up a picture of the actual fly that 'got er done' please do so.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's mine for the week ending 7/17/2010, started using it on Sunday the 11th and finished today. The fly put 21 fish in the larder for the long winter and caught and released three times that many. There were also many long distance releases because when the fish are present in large numbers I tend to try to rush landing them. The quicker you land them the more you can hook. If you plan to release then a really quick fight is the ticket. I never had the fly break off (15lb leader on 8 lb fish) and it is resting in my box.

A very good Skykomish Sunrise;

[/IMG]

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Darn it, Ard! I have been fishing with smaller flies (16-20) lately with my single handers. I have not touched the two handers in awhile. Now you are forcing me to make it so. Gosh. You are making life so hard for me.

Truth be told, I have the itch to fish the two handers, so I'll figure out a fly of the week. Actually, I have some patterns that I have been goofing around on my vise that I want to try out.

MP

Jimmie

Reaction score
That is an awesome idea Ard. I'll be watching just to see what you two hand guys use.
Would be fun to have a fly of the week thread for us one handers and tyers too. It would keep the ideas and new ties flowing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Two Weeks Ago;

Eleven days ago I tied this fly, a Santiam Spectrum to my leader to fish in the Kenai River. By the time it was re-photographed it had caught many Dolly Varden Char and a whole bunch of sockeye salmon. I kept on fishing it wherever I was fishing until it started to unravel, then I switched to the Skykomish. It held up well but I will be using a copy next time I tie one on.

New from the vise;

[/IMG]

After;

[/IMG]

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
Good stuff and good Idea Ard. I'm headed up your way Thursday for a couple weeks and plan on playing with the two hander hopefully I'll have a fly to show at the end of it all.;)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard: Very good idea about posting a two hander fly of the week!
Good to see the fishing is finally picking up for you! That Santiam Spectrum is a really nice looking fly, one of my favorites when I fished in AK was the Skykomish Sunrise so I know it will catch a ton of fish for you.

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This weeks hero is The 'Bush Doctor Hair wing'
today it landed 7 salmon. The pattern can be found in the Alaska steelhead flies thread. Water conditions were 1.5 foot high and turbid, (could not see fish) and the fly was found by 3 chum, 2 pink, and 2 silver salmon.

[/IMG]

Pocono

Reaction score
Would be fun to have a fly of the week thread for us one handers and tyers too. It would keep the ideas and new ties flowing.
Good idea, Jimmie. I'll participate in that one if someone sets it up as a thread. Great way to learn new techniques.

Pocono

---------- Post added at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

This weeks hero is The 'Bush Doctor Hair wing'
today it landed 7 salmon. The pattern can be found in the Alaska steelhead flies thread. Water conditions were 1.5 foot high and turbid, (could not see fish) and the fly was found by 3 chum, 2 pink, and 2 silver salmon.

[/IMG]
Pretty fly, Ard. Beautiful job on the head. I can see a lot of Silver Doctor influence in that fly. I was tying up some Striper flies yesterday and I found myself reaching for the blue materials (bucktail, hackle, yarn) a lot. There's something about the blue on a silver background that just looks to me like it's going to catch fish.

Pocono

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a trip next weekend and went through the fly box tonight to see what I needed. On the river I usually fish everyone swears by the Green Butt Skunk. I don't think I have ever fished one but have seen a couple fish caught on the original pattern. But as I looked through my box I had a few Green Butt Skunk type patterns. Some of them have been in there for quite a while. I should probally give them a try sometime.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That's Enough for Six Weeks !!

Those are some beauties! I would tie on the guy at bottom left first and fish it until they tore it apart. You must have an interesting box Allen :)

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm thinking of throwing that middle on the left for a while. I like Dee Wings but haven't fished one enough to get anything on them.

I don't know if the box is interesting or not. I haven't looked through too many others to compare it too.

Pocono

Reaction score
Allen,

I agree with Ard, those are very nice flies! I would happily fish any one of them, but may favorite is the upper left.

Pocono

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm thinking of throwing that middle on the left for a while. I like Dee Wings but haven't fished one enough to get anything on them.

I don't know if the box is interesting or not. I haven't looked through too many others to compare it too.
You're gonna have to take my word on that then :thmbup: