The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Spey from Boat?

Just wondering if anyone does or has done any spey casting from a boat. if so any tips or suggestions. I think it can be done from a kayak short enough to where the rod extends past the bow. but from a bass boat??
Mike
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Spey from Boat?

Mike,

I can only give my own opinion on this and I flat out don't like fly casting from boats unless it is the only way I have a prayer of catching a fish. Spey from a boat.........?? I would go to a single hand rod and overhand cast. The length of a Spey rod will make it almost impossible to land fish from within the confines of a boat.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Watch this video.

Personally I refrain from using the Spey rod on a boat due to limited space.

Dennis
Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

it was interesting last week with my 10 ft 8wt on the back of the bassboat, my goal is still to catch a schooling wiper on fly so I will continue to try. but I did feel restricted.. unless I was the only one on the boat. ill keep looking into this.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

We fish two handers from jet sleds 90% of the time here in West Michigan on the bigger rivers, personally, I find it no different than casting from the bank, you just have to drop the boat down through a run instead of stepping down...

Full sink scandi heads are what most of us prefer for fishing from a boat...

It opens up a LOT of water we otherwise would not be able to fish...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 PM

cool, theres hope.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done it, but it is easier to use a single hand rod. The only reason I even did it is because I love the rod so much. Landing a fish is a tad more challenging, but with the boat you can also haul around a net with a long handle.... like I did. If you think it's fun just go ahead and do it. I thought it was fun.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 PM

and my spey rod is only 12,6 so its not like those 14+ rigs