The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Z Axis 6110

Anyone using one of these? I'm looking at reels for it and have narrowed down choices to a couple of reels. I'm thinking of a Galvan Torque--T8 I think would do it, the T10 would likely be too much reel.

The other consideration is an Abel Super 7. Thoughts?

While I'm inquiring, what lines are you guys using on this rod?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Z Axis 6110

Mrs fysh has one and put a Ross CLA 4 on it with a RIO Skagit 'Flight' (short head 400 gr) on it and she also has another spool loaded with the RIO 'Switch' line that she uses for overhead casting.
Nice rod but you MUST slow your casting stroke down and let the rod do it's job or you'll be wondering what the heck is going on.
HuronRiverDan and fredaevans like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 07-08-2012, 02:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I sold mine. I used my six weight Gary Anderson Spey rod more.

I fished it with a 325 Skagit short head. I fished it with eight to ten foot lengths of T8. It will cast heavier flies with a 375 grain head.

Torque 8 is a fine fit.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Z Axis 6110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I sold mine. I used my six weight Gary Anderson Spey rod more.

I fished it with a 325 Skagit short head. I fished it with eight to ten foot lengths of T8. It will cast heavier flies with a 375 grain head.

Torque 8 is a fine fit.

Ditto. Got a chance to really cast the Sage and I did like it as did the fellow who purchased same. Then I pulled my ACR off the rod rack on the Jeep and handed that to him. Honestly don't recall (and I'm not getting my butt off the chair to check the reel, but it's a custom cut SGS line) and said 'give this a try.'

Three or four casts later he was consistently laying out over 40 more feet of line.

For who aren't part of the '2-hander' community (SpeyPages) SGS is the log in name for Steve Gotshall who makes custom cut lines. If you buy an Anderson or a Meiser you'll probably get on (or can order same up).

But if you order up one of Steve's lines 'it' is cut specifically for that rod, your fishing conditions, size of flies you'll be using, etc., and etc., and etc.

Same rod, you vs. me. Mine might be 28' 3 inches at 'xyz' grains. Yours may be 33' 2 inches. The lines are specific to the rod/caster/fishing conditions where you'll use same.

Two last thoughts: 'They' won't cost you a penny more than something off the shelf (no disrespect intended), but dead on for you and 'the Stick.'
HuronRiverDan likes this.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the replies, all good stuff.

MP, any thoughts on this rod with a Big Game 3N? Am I getting on the heavy side here?

FAE, I have certainly kept Steve in mind for some line and am likely go get in touch with him. I've remembered your advise from from other posts on the line topic. In this case, I was looking for off the shelf lines people were using just to get a feel for the grain window as well as preferences of others.

Thanks again guys.