The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 03:08 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Now Im ready.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Allen Olympic 12,6 6wt with powerflex shooting line and rio scandi short versitip is ready to head to water. I cant wait to start casting it. I thought this event was due a bit of fun editing.
Mike
Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Im ready.

"Welcome to the Dark Side Young Luke Skywalker, Welcome!"
mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice! Is that the 9/10 Alpha II? Certainly looks different than my Olympic 12' 5wt with the Trout reel on it, mainly with regard to backing space, haha! I may be flipping some spey casts at grayling tomorrow if I'm lucky...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Nice! Is that the 9/10 Alpha II? Certainly looks different than my Olympic 12' 5wt with the Trout reel on it, mainly with regard to backing space, haha! I may be flipping some spey casts at grayling tomorrow if I'm lucky...
thats the biggest alpha they sell. I wasnt sure how much room the line would take up, so Im sure Im a bit low on backing for some situations, but theres over 150 yard on it.. 43 ft tip with 100ft shooting line, wow..
Mike
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: Congrats on the new outfit! Keep us posted on how the spey casting learning curve goes. Loved the artwork on the photo!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 AM

thanks. Ill be doing videos im sure, like I did when I started last summer. youtube is a wonderful thing to learn. I like this photo alot, might have to do one like it with the vintage fly gear from my great grandpa, would be neat.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 PM

should be taking it for a test drive in the morning. Ill report back.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember when learning to cast the two handed rod to sloooowww dowwwnnn! Enjoy.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 AM

thanks. Ive been watching tons of spey videos, so I can only hope I learned something
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Ill report when i get a video posted, but I did manage to get out and cast soem today, its very differnt for sure, but I like it. No fish to hand, but I was chasing big carp and did get one hook up. had to be huge it was pullign like a mac truck till it spit it out.. DOH!!! Ill be going back for him