The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By northernspy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 11:02 AM

northernspy is on a distinguished road
Default Switch recommendations for mult use.

Hey all,

First post. Mainly fish saltwater for stripped bass by boat in MA with a 9' 9wt. I have a steel head trip in Pulaski planned in November and need to gear up. I'd like to pick up a used switch outfit for the trip and was wondering if I could get multiple use from it. For example, can I also have it as a second outfit on the boat for saltwater? Or at least use the reel for a second line that I can switch on my 9 wt? I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations. And if anyone is selling an outfit that matches my needs, I'd be interested in hearing about that.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch recommendations for mult use.

Welcome to the forum! I use a switch in the salt when fishing the surf. I normally use a 9wt which is a bit much for Steelhead.
The good news is that whatever reel your using on your 9wt single hand rod should balance out a 7wt switch nicely. I've used a 9wt RIO Outbound short head line on a 7wt switch and it worked out well for me. If you go with that setup you can get double use from the line. Depending on which 7wt switch you buy you may want to consider the 10WT Outbound line, just check the gr recomendations from the rod manufacturer.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 AM

northernspy is on a distinguished road

Thanks swirlchaser. Good input. Like your sigh off quote BTW.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 PM

paflyboy is on a distinguished road

Hi northernspy, welcome to the forum(I'm mostly a lurker, this is one of my frst posts as well!). I recently purchased a Cabelas lsi 11'6" 8wt switch rod to use on my annual Michigan salmon trip. So far I have been using the rod to swing streamers for smallmouth while awaiting cooler weather. I have been quite pleasantly surprised with the rod(I have amassed quite a collection of two-handed rods) and think it is a great rod for the price. I bought a Colton Torrent 8/9 reel which, at 9.6 ounces, balances the rod quite well. The Coltons are on sale right now and I think they are a great reel for the money(the guy who designs and sells them is an avid saltwater striper fisherman). I think this will be a good setup for salmon(I think it's strong enough) and a great setup for swinging flies for steelhead(so far I like the Airflo Delta Spey 7/8 line on it). It's not too bad for bass, either.

My point in all of this is that I got all this gear new for close to the price of what some used switch or spey setups will cost. Having said that, there are frequently good deals to be had on used gear if you are patient and know where to look(think: speypages.com) Tight lines, and good luck in your search.

Last edited by paflyboy; 07-17-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: adding text