The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 06:17 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Arrow day 1 with Spey gear.

Ok let me have it. I had some good casts and some horrible ones, the ones in the video are some of the better. Observations Im making already is that i need to slow way down. and sweep lower to the water. I will admit I was a bit careful to avoid the rocks behind me, I cant wait to try this while out in the open while wading soon.I did manage to get a strike from my targeted grass carp, had about 15 seconds of HANG on mike!! then it spit the hook. so let me know what you think!. thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: day 1 with Spey gear.

nothing.. I must be really skrewed.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this Mike. I think your doing fine, especially considering it's your first time out.
The only things I would say is on your swing to form your 'D loop' try not to sweep upward quite as much as from the first cast in scene 2, instead(from the initial lift) imagine a Martini Glass rim roughly 3' above your head and follow that rim with your rod tip to your stop. And maybe stop your rod tip just a bit higher on your forward stroke.

I think your doing fine overall though, especially considering your on your own in the field.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 PM

thanks John, I take what I can and try to improve, I noticed I was going too high the more I look at the video. Lots to get used to how the line moves. I also feel I need to sweep slower, there was a few times not shown in the vid where I sweep back to form d loop and the line lands way to far behind, few times nailing the rocks. Im hoping the next trip on the creek Ill be able to do more having an open area to not worry about those rod tip line killing rocks Ill keep geting video.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Heck, you look better than me on your first day at it! I don't know how long the casts are but they look like you are an old hand. I'm not looking forward to the first time someone who knows the game critiques my style

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 PM

thanks Ard, I think the farthest cast was maybe 15ft of shooting line off the tip. and there was 45 ft or so, head and tip combined. its really neat, i enjoy casting it as mush as trying to fish. and the looks I was getting from the families bait dunking was pricless..
Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Looks better then what I could probably do or when i try to spey cast my heavy weight rods. Hopefully I dont have to buy a setup like this......

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 PM

I think you could cast this head ona 8+wt single hander.. I may try it on my 8wt for grins.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That was finest kind for the first time! As John said stop the rod higher on your forward stroke. I think the rocks definitely held you back or atleast you held yourself back because of them. Once you're in a more open area you can realy let the D-loop do its job your casts will sail.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM

hitting the creek in the morning hope I can find a deep open area,, water is low. but I have a spot in mind. video will be apart of this.