The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/)
-   -   A question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/291668-question.html)

texastroutbum 07-18-2012 07:51 PM

A question

Well, this could be a dumb question. So please bear with me.
I have been watching spey casting videos, and I notice that when the water flows from the left to the right, anglers use either double spey or reverse snap T. First, which one do you guys like? and Why? It seems to me that reverse snap t requires quite a practice since the casting angle gets a bit awkward than the regular snap t. Is my observation valid?

I tried a reverse snap t with one hand spey casting, and compared to regular snap t I had a hard time. Please enlighten me.

wt bash 07-18-2012 11:26 PM

Re: A question

Not a dumb question at all! For me it depends more on the wind than weather I'm on river right or left. If its a down stream wind (enough to put the fly too close for comfort) I 'll try a reverse but it is akward as all get out and I go to a double spey or a perry poke. Its counter intuitive and if its botched it can send a fly smashing into the rod so I just assume make the more comfortable cast. I should add that its easier with a spey rod with the extra length and bottom hand to give more control.

paflyboy 07-19-2012 10:14 AM

I agree with what WT said. If the wind is strong enough to affect your anchor(fly) pacement then, for safety's sake, you should always choose the cast that will place your anchor down wind from you. Depending on wind, current and obstructions behind you, you should have the ability to choose a cast that will anchor the fly either up or down stream from you, and off of either shoulder. In my opinion, if you can perform a snap-t and a double spey off of either shoulder then you should be covered for most wind/current situations. For what it's worth, when I cast "cackhanded"(right hand up, casting off my left shoulder) I find that to be my strongest cast. Others would suggest switching hands(left hand up when casting off left shoulder, etc) but I'm just too "right-handed" to be comfortable doing that. Whatever works best for you is the best way! Tight lines.

texastroutbum 07-19-2012 11:40 AM

Thank you so much guys.
I do not know why, but steelhead fishing with a two hand rod is so appealing to me. But before I get to go the northwest, I should practice in the Red river for strippers I guess, where the water color is bit different and warm. Yikes.

wt bash 07-19-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paflyboy (Post 472070)
when I cast "cackhanded"(right hand up, casting off my left shoulder) I find that to be my strongest cast

Its weird but me too, I think its cause when I cast off my right shoulder its more comfortable and I tend to get lazy but when its off the left I have to focus more on the correct form and the cast ends up a bit smoother. I watched a friend do the same and his lift was higher, tighter D-loop, and higher or shorter stop on the foreward casting stroke. Its easy to overcomplicate these kinds of casts with all the spey jargon but like Paflyboy said the best cast is the cast that works for you.

texastroutbum 07-19-2012 01:17 PM

Somebody already posted this video, but it appears that the first part of her castings are cackhanded castings. She does so easily but I guess she could do that after lots of practices.

paflyboy 07-19-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastroutbum (Post 472086)
Thank you so much guys.
I do not know why, but steelhead fishing with a two hand rod is so appealing to me. But before I get to go the northwest, I should practice in the Red river for strippers I guess, where the water color is bit different and warm. Yikes.

This two handed rod thing has become almost an addiction to me! I've come to find that I enjoy swinging flies for almost anything that I fish for(mostly smallmouth, trout and, of course, steelies). All I need is some moving water and there is no other way I'd rather fish. I think fishing for stripers would be an excellent way to break yourself in to the sport(strippers on the other hand, I'm not so sure...). Enjoy the journey!

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by wt bash (Post 472098)
Its weird but me too, I think its cause when I cast off my right shoulder its more comfortable and I tend to get lazy but when its off the left I have to focus more on the correct form and the cast ends up a bit smoother. I watched a friend do the same and his lift was higher, tighter D-loop, and higher or shorter stop on the foreward casting stroke. Its easy to overcomplicate these kinds of casts with all the spey jargon but like Paflyboy said the best cast is the cast that works for you.

WT, I think it's because when we cast from our "off" shoulder we are mechanically forced into a very compact motion. At least, that's how it was explained to me. All I know is it works! I expect I'll run into you on the tribs one of these days. Until then, Tight lines!

hooked1 07-20-2012 05:07 PM

WT, I think it's because when we cast from our "off" shoulder we are mechanically forced into a very compact motion. At least, that's how it was explained to me. All I know is it works! I expect I'll run into you on the tribs one of these days. Until then, Tight lines![/QUOTE]

This is very true in most cases.If I have the room,I like the single spey,or snake role.If the river is tight,I will do a double and move it out in front a few extra feet to shorten up my D loop

Scott

Guest1 07-22-2012 02:06 AM

WT is right about wind. Wind direction is very important. The wrong cast in wind can get you hit with a fly.One thing that has really helped me is to practice every cast with both hands on top. I prefer right hand top but thanks to wind and other factors like rocks or trees behind me, river direction, etc. I sometimes end up casting left hand top the whole time. Trust me it pays to be able to use both hands on top. By the way, that's only the second video I have see where someone does a cackhand snap t. The other was a women as well. April Vokey. She makes it look way to easy.

HuronRiverDan 07-25-2012 08:35 AM

Being able to cast either way is a good thing to learn...

Dan