The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM

jeed is on a distinguished road
Default A good deal?

so a friend of mine is selling me a never used orvis helios 7'6" 4wt with reel for 500.00. problem is, i dont really have any use for that kind of rod, as i have my good ol z axis for my river and stream work.

since i'm on the coast, i do enjoy salt fishing, and since i have access to good surf spots, i'd like to get a spey rod. the guy at the local orvis told me he could take the 4wt on a 20% trade in, and i could get a 13'6" 9wt helios spey rod for 900 and some change. would that be a good deal?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good deal?

Poor deal for you, great deal for the dealer. Run away!!

Looks like that spey rod sells for around $1100.00. Here's a comparable rod listing.
Spey Rod / Helios™ Spey 8-weight 13'6" Fly Rod—Tip Flex -- Orvis

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I know that the people who own those rods may disagree but, for 900 dollars the rod would have to be offered with a 2 year supply of salmon & steelhead before I would spend that much.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hahhahaha!!!!!! I wish my rods carried that kind of warrenty!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 PM

first, thank you for the honest replies, i appreciate it!

second: yeah i figured it was fishy, pun intended; since i'm new to this fly fishing game, i dont know how the gear selling works yet. so you think i would be better off offering the 4wt for trade? whats a good used spey outfit to look for?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of quick questions. How big is the water you plan to fish with it? What kind of money are you looking to spend?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 PM

a couple quick answers! salt primarily, with maybe some large mouth and salmon on the side, so around 8-9wt. budget would be in the 500 range for rod n reel if at all possible, of course exceptions can be made.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for salt type stuff, then the bigger the better. Spey rods are best looked at as how far, not the size of the fish. Longer and heavier means farther casts with big flies. Maybe take some time to buy one on e bay. It is a wonderful place to buy, and a horrible place to sell. If you have patience, you can get a rod and reel big enough for what you want without breaking the bank.

It sounds like you are not planning to do this anywhere with current, and despite what some say, that's fine. I cast in still water all of the time. I don't mean overhead casts either. Although if you have the room behind you, it's possible to hit rediculous distances. I perry poke/single spey in still water, and it works well. The last couple of days there has been close to no current in the river and it has not hurt my casts in the slightest. Maybe you should make a stripping basket for this. I strip all the way to the leader, then shake the head out, perry poke and then single spey. If you have weighted flies and snaggy bottom, you can hook the bottom before you cast once in a while. One of the spots I fish is the text book definition of snaggy and I use weighted flies. I don't hook bottom a lot, but I go into the perry poke the second I get to the marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeed View Post
salt primarily, with maybe some large mouth and salmon on the side, so around 8-9wt.
By the way, the best way to look at spey rods is, not by the size of the fish. They should be looked at by how far you need to cast. Longer and heavier = more distance.
I'd go for the biggest rod you can get with the money you have.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 PM

any outfits i should look for? my price range for rod n reel is around 500.00. i'm gonna be doing mostly atlantic surf fishing, so bluefish, black bass and striper are my options in fairly heavy waters.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:38 AM
Banned

Spey rods are not cheap. The reels big enough to balance one are even less cheap. Lines are not even cheap. I just dropped $175.00 on a line. If you want the biggest you can get and still want to keep the works under $500, I'd go to E Bay and just start watching. It is a wonderful place to buy, and a horrible place to sell. I've bought some things on there recently that border on theft. Since you are in the buyers end on this one, here's the best advice I can give you. Keep watching for the rod and reel you want. Bigger the better. Do not bid on it till the last few seconds. Seriously, like 8 seconds. If you bid before that, all you do is give other bidders a reason to run up the cost. Don't pay more than you want, because if this one goes to high, just like cockroaches, there are plenty more where that came from. When you see the one you want, put as much as you can afford on the bid and wait for 8 seconds to roll up and then confirm your bid. It will likely end up way less than your bid, as you just need to be higher by one increment than tha highest other bidder's highest bid. That does not show. That's why you put what you are willing to pay. I got a big Tibor reel, a thousand dollar reel for the 17' 11 wt. I'm going to be using this fall, for less than half of what it's worth doing this. Brand new, never been used. I should have been wearing a mask when I did it. My point is, you can save a pile of money this way. Ard ot a big spey rod the same way, and I'd pay more to get it from him than he paid by a lot. I'm Jealous of it. Patience and persistant watching. Plus you need to be able to get to a computor of some related I phone-ish device when the bidding ends.

I'd think something like what I use most of the time. 15 footer in 9 wt. or bigger.