The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 PM

fyshy is on a distinguished road
Default Come on now...

Hate to say it but this spey/scandi/skagit/shootinghead/twohand/singlehand stuff is a bit confusing even for a smart feller like me. I have a good bit of experience with the regular old 9' rods but now I have messed up and gotten interested in this other stuff. Rarely have I just depended on the advice of the sales staff and just said, "here is what I fish for, send me what I need" but this stuff is so confusing I am thinking that might be the way to go.

So, I want a rod to catch largemouth bass (streamers and topwater) and big browns and bows. Mostly fishing big lakes and trout water like the White River.

What would you buy?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Come on now...

This is exactly the time to follow the staff reccomendations, trying to explain it all with all different opinions, styles, techniques and so on will be even more confusing. Once you feel more familiar and you get the whole casting motion down then you can start to play around with the Scandis Skagits and Long/Mid bellies and so on.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

First the principals of spey casting (why it works) are exactly the same as that of a single hander. Major difference is you're eliminating all that 'faults casting.' The "180" degree "change of direction" bit is achieved by your anchor placement.

As for 'spey casts' there isn't one that you can't do quite well with a 1-hander. The rod doesn't know.

For the type of fishing you've described I'd suggest a 6wt 'switch rod' of 10 to max 11' 6" As for lines, and your type of fishing, a Skagit would be my last choice, a Scandi may be a good match (including over hand casting) as would a mid-belly type line.

fae
Old 09-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

In my 4th year of learning this game and at times I'm still befuddled with some of the terminology and what will work with what.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanks, I feel better knowing others have the same issue... I appreciate the comments and guess I just need to get started. I spent the afternoon on the lake (more casting than fishing).

As for the rod recommendation to start with I had originally thought a 6wt and was just about to order one and then I read that a 6wt switch rod is more like an 8 wt single hand rod. Is this true? If so, I think I need to go down to a 5wt for the fishing I do.

Then of course there is the decision, TFO vs Echo vs Beulah vs ??? That is part of the fun of our sport though. I have been fortunate to have learned and fished with some very knowledgable fishermen and here i am feeling the excitement of a new challenge. Ain't it great!

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshy View Post
Thanks, I feel better knowing others have the same issue... I appreciate the comments and guess I just need to get started. I spent the afternoon on the lake (more casting than fishing).

As for the rod recommendation to start with I had originally thought a 6wt and was just about to order one and then I read that a 6wt switch rod is more like an 8 wt single hand rod. Is this true? If so, I think I need to go down to a 5wt for the fishing I do.

Then of course there is the decision, TFO vs Echo vs Beulah vs ??? That is part of the fun of our sport though. I have been fortunate to have learned and fished with some very knowledgeable fishermen and here i am feeling the excitement of a new challenge. Ain't it great!

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.
Generally speaking the 'up 2' from a one hander is pretty much on, but it deals with the (grain) weight of the line needed to properly load the rod. Single hander lines follow AFTMA schedule (+/-5%?-without looking it up). Spey lines do have a 'schedule' but it's all over the map as you have so damned many configurations. Short Skagit, Skagit, Scandi, mid belly, etc., etc. I look at that and just say 'Ok, what ever.' Add to that the custom line cutters (like Steve Gotshall) who tossed all that out and works off of his 'numbers' for a specific rod (what gets put on the label can have little to do with what the rod really is!

Learning to cast a "Spey Rod" is not rocket science, and learning how to do it quite well really is a short learning curve. BUT THAT SAID, if I had to pick out one thing that kills peoples learning curve is they watch some vid's/DVD/what-ever and hit the river. Many have no choice, most do.

Drop a few bucks (or if you know a good caster) and get a lesson or two. End game is 'self-taught' builds in bad habits and those are darned hard to unwind (just trust me on that one!!) (LIGHT HANDS!! LIGHT HANDS!! SLOW DOWN, CONTINUOUS accelerating movement but controlled)

Do this frequently (no charge, well hit Subway and get us a sandwich to share) and will bring a minimum of 4 different rod/line set ups. 5wt to an 8wt. Start light and work up from there.

At some point caster will 'just click' with a rod/line (and I do change out the lines) ... and do a LOVE THIS! Several of my lines are marked at 5 or 10 yard intervals and Guys banging them out ... "How far do you think I'm casting??!!"

Find the mark (or if I already know from own casting at the place) 'You're out reel to fly about 90 feet (what ever).'

"YOU ARE SHXTING ME!!??"

And no, I don't fudge the distance; we've all heard the old joke about the Blonde saying 'My boy friend says this is 7 inches of pure magic!'

Edit: Yikes, the bit of your post I wanted to highlight came out waaaay over the top. MY BAD!

Last edited by fredaevans; 09-03-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: aDD EDIT.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the info Fred. I wish I lived closer to the "dark reaches of southern Oregon". I would bring my coupons and we would indeed share a subway sandwich or two. I look forward to learning more about this type of fishing. I can't wait to see the look on the faces of my buddies down here in the south when I break out a rod that reaches across the river.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 AM

I would be something to think about. Fish returns on the Rogue have been fabulous. Appears the coho and King Salmon (fall fish) will be 'OTT.' Huge schools of the things about 10 miles west of Brookings, Or at the moment.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 AM

coldwater55 is on a distinguished road

Im going today to spend a couple of hours with a casting instructer.I've got to drive 110 miles to meet up with him,but it should be worth it.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up Re: Come on now...

You're probably in your car as I'm typing this, but it will be every bit worth the 4'ish hour drive.

Fred