The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road
Default Importance of Reel Size?

I've been considering getting into Spey fishing. I don't entirely want to throw down several hundred dollars for a new reel to pair whichever rod I end up getting, though (most likely a #7 or #9 for steelhead and salmon, respectively). I would, however, be willing to spend the nearly $200 for a spool for my Lamson Litespeed 3.5X to balance whichever rod I went with for spey. As far as I can tell the only thing a larger reel is important for in spey is 1) arbor size and 2) weight. I imagine I could get a bronze cuffling to slide over the spoke of my reel and therefore add a precise amount of weight, of my choosing, to my reel. And with my 3.5X having an already large arbor (250y backing compatible) I have a hard time justifying getting a lower-end reel when I have a very, very slick one to use with just the cost of a DIY bronze cuffling and a spool.

Anyone have 2c on the matter?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Importance of Reel Size?

Hi Fingers,

It sounds pretty much like you've got it figured out. I can tell you what I use but won't try to talk you into anything.

LL Bean 13' 8/9 with an Orvis Odyssey IV reel.
Hardy 13' 9' 9 weight with a Hardy Cascapedia 8/9 reel.
Winston 15' 10/11 weight with an Orvis Vortex 11/12 reel

Big heavy reels each of them but they are each in perfect balance with their respective rods.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 AM

I'm not trying to be set-in-my-ways, I just don't want to spend more than I need to if I can't help it.

I was erring on the side of getting a 7 wt rod (like the Sage VXP or Echo TR) and just chancing using it on Chinook. I'd imagine if I got a break, it'd be at the mono anyway (if I managed to hook into a 25#+ that ate my line).
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all about not breaking the bank when it comes to tackle. As for breaking the rod on a king........ I've caught them a little past 40 on that Bean rod using a level 15 pound leader. The other rods have caught fish but nothing over 20. If you're new to the whole Spey thing then you're smart to use what you have.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 AM

Given your knowledge of Spey, would I need to add any weight to my LS 3.5X for the 7wt Echo TR? I'm thinking I'd just need another spool outfitted with skagit, running line, various sink tips and leader and be ready to fish.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Administrator

All you can do is line up the reel - mount it to the rod - string it up - then hold it in your hand and see how it feels. To me, 'any rod' when I say balance I mean if I loop one finger under the cork right up at the winding check....... Does it have a balance point there? If so I'm happy that it is what I call balanced. Perhaps I'm a bit weird in this sense but every rod / reel / line set I have balances as described.

Some folks call balance a model 5/6 reel on either a 5 or 6 weight rod balanced. I call balance a strung rod that has its 'static' fulcrum point at or very near the front of the cork grip / winding check area.