The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Jeffo is on a distinguished road
Default New Switch Rod & Reel, need everything else......

I've purchased the following:

Beulah 10'8" 7 weight Platinum Switch Rod

Irideus ZEN Spey Salmon Fly Fishing Reel Steelhead & Saltwater fly reel 8wt-10wt

Line, leader and Tippett needs:

Looking for the proper line/lines to do fundamental Switch, Traditional Spey, Scandinavian (Scandi) and Skagit (Pacific Northwest) styles of fly casting.

Trying to understand the complete setup of line, leader and Tippett for each style. I'm trying to get into this Switch Rod fishing, but the line confusion is extensive to say the least.

I've been a traditional fly caster for over 30 years, this is the next logical step, and I am excited to make it, just very confused.

Please any help with sites containing drawings of lines, proper build up and understanding of the different sections.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Switch Rod & Reel, need everything else......

Jeff, the choice of Scandi vs Skagit really is a pretty simple one. With a skagit you're doing sustained anchor costs (read that let the sink tip sink!) at the anchor point. With Scandi's the anchor is a touch and go with full floating leaders through to extra fast sinking POLY LEADERS.

With a Scandi head, if you want to use sink tips made of T-8 or T-11, they'll have to be pretty short. I wouldn't recommend material heavier than that.

Obviously a skagit head will be shorter, and have more grain weight, than a Scandi on a given rod. Sooooooooo, to boil all that down, with a rod 'that short' I'd look at a 27 to 30 foot Scandi head (you really won't want to chuck regular sink tips anyway) between 420 and 470 grains.

With full on floating leaders stick to 9 to 12 foot; over that and you'll have lay out issues.

Just my .02 cents.
fae
fysh and MoscaPescador like this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 10-02-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Damn it! A spelling error ... My Bad.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What Fred said.

Dennis
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I got the chance to use the new Orvis Switch line on 11' 8wt and 11' 7wt Helios switch rods. It's pretty damn impressive and I enjoyed it more than the Beulah Elixir switch line I am using now. It's worth checking out. As a disclaimer, while I tried out a number of the casts you mention, I am absolutely an amateur, especially as compared to Fred! Plus, the advice he gives goes quite a bit further than a simple line suggestion!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank you Sir. Have been at this a bit.

First 2hander (wood rod) was at age 10 or 12 and that thing beat the heck out of me ... until (squeekie voice?) "FISH ON!!" Back 60'ish years ago there was lots of that.

God that thought just took me back in the day.

Lived in Ocean Falls, BC and plenty of wood row boats (built at the lumber mill, only reason the place existed) and my Father would take my Cousin Pete (from London, UK and the Germans were bombing the hell out of the place at the time) out fishing. Our 'life jackets' was a string of rope under his rowing seat. One end tied around my middle, the other around Pete's. Don't worry, both were quick slip knots if things got interesting.

Rope actually had two functions, the first 'obvious.' Second one was I/he hooked a fish (King Salmon) it held our 65-80 butts in the rowboat.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I recently added a new line to the stable, it's the Airflow 'Rage' in a 425 grain, I'm throwing it on a 13' 7wt Rainshadow. My understanding is that the 'Rage' is sort of a hybrid between a Scandi and a Skagit, I have both those types of lines and it seems that this line is much easier to work with.

Just my .02

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*