The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/)
-   -   thinking about a second rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/298795-thinking-about-second-rod.html)

MacSuibhne 10-07-2012 09:54 AM

thinking about a second rod

Looking for a second/backup or winter rod. Something with enough backbone to handle 25#+ chinook.

Don't want to spend more than $300.00+/- so would be happy with an older model with good casting action for Skagit heads and a fast recovery.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I am not actively soliciting for offers (although I wouldn't ignore any) just trying to get an idea of what might be out there. I haven't fished in over 15 years and when I quit (shoulder problems) two-handed rods were not all that common. So I don't know what has happened in rod technology in the last decade and more.

Any advice or thoughts will be appreciated.

fredaevans 10-07-2012 10:16 AM

Re: thinking about a second rod

If fish that size are your 'target' I'd recommend a rod 12' 6" to 13' 6" (max) in a 9 (or 10?) wt. A 25 # fish will require a rod that you can really put the muscle to it. Zip over to the classifieds here and on the SpeyPages web board. Lots of rods for sale at the moment.

Edit: Just noticed this was your second post; welcome to the group.
Fred

fyshstykr 10-07-2012 10:51 AM

Hello, and welcome to the forum.:)

I have an older, gently used, very good condition Loomis GL3, 14' 8/9 that has no problem whatsoever with 550/600 gr Skagit lines and sinking tips. It's listed in the classifieds here. It's paired up with a Ross CLA 6 that's in excellent condition with a RIO Skagit 550 gr line.

Been for sale a little while now so I would possibly consider splitting up the pair if you were interested. If you like, pm your email and I'll gladly send pics.

fredaevans 10-07-2012 11:02 AM

+1 to John's offer. This is a rod/reel/line combo that was put together with 'large fish' in mind. :thumbsupu

fae

MacSuibhne 10-07-2012 11:14 AM

Fred,

Yes that was my assessment as well. I'm fairly small and a little leery of too long a rod not only because of the weight and leverage it exerts on an old guy but the worry that length equals a relative loss of backbone.

stykr,

I thank you for the offer, I'll keep it in mind...not dismissing it, just that it's a little longer than I had in mind.

Probably should have mentioned my length druthers in my OP...sorry.

fyshstykr 10-07-2012 11:52 AM

Just to add, don't let the length fool you as far as backbone, the rod has plenty, I'd call it a med/fast but leaning into the faster side. No problem casting the Skagit head and a sink tip 100' and beyond if desired.

My wife is 5' 3" and actually has a relatively easy time casting this rod. Just sayin';)

Good luck on your search, if you decide to look at pics, just let me know.