The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM

MacSuibhne is on a distinguished road
Default rod comparisons

New thread, same questions...

I am looking at several rods as a second/back-up rod. I don't have the luxury or opportunity to cast them.

I will be buying second-hand. I am targeting heavier fish (chinook and winter steel), winter fishing and heavier flies, but also thinking that eventually i would like to learn to cast Scandi, maybe.

I am looking at a Loomis GL3, 14' 8/9. Loomis has always had a special place in my heart...when I was casting single hand. But being rather new to spey casting I am not certain what I want or how I will handle it. And I am a little leery of the length and weight and the leverage a longer rod will have on my back and shoulders.

I am looking at an older Echo2 9126. 12' 6" for a 9. This is a foot and a half shorter than the Loomis and has two tips. It is unfished. It was designed by Tim Rajeff.

I am looking at a Beulah Classic 13' 6" 8/9. I know this is a stout rod and maybe a bit heavy (compared to what?) but I have a Beulah platinum Switch and love it. I am willing to trust that the classic is just as good a caster for what it was designed to handle.

I am also looking at a loop 13' 2" Adventure..black blank, black wraps.

Compounding all this is that I have a Speyco reel coming that is more or less best suited for a rod around 13' and 600 gr Skagit head.

I realize that anyone of these rods will probably suit me and that I will probably come to like or even love whichever I buy. But I would be interested in any insights that anyone might have or advice or just general observations.

It's a fairly steep learning curve for someone who hasn't fished for over 15 years and is trying to put together a rig before the season is over.

thanks for your help.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rod comparisons

Welcome to the forum first of all. Second, I'm pretty sure that almost all if not all of G Loomis's rods are now done for the scandi type style. Faster actions and shorter top grips. So the thing here is, you may want to be sure about what style you want to go with.

I like a less fast action and a longer top grip. I do about 60% with the top hand. In Scandi it's about 90% bottom hand. The top hand is just there top follow and be the pivot point. I tried it and didn't like it. I wanted a lot of distance and I could not get it that way. Scandi style does have the advantage of needing less room behind you, although I don't need a whole lot my way either.

Just a couple of things you may want to think about before you go drop the money.

P.S. I really want for it to stop raining and snowing here. I worked all weekend and had today off. It is a miserable wet mess and cold.

P.P.S. Try calling the Red Shed fly shop. Poppy, the guy who owns it knows virtually every rod made. I am willing to bet he can tell you everything you need to know in one call. May even have a previously used one you can warm up on for a reasonable price.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

I am pretty new to 2h casting but I am favouring Skagit casting...at least for the time being.

I have SkagitMaster I & II and I get the impression from it that it requires less distance behind you than Scandi and that most of power comes from the bottom hand. I also took some lessons but I am too new to it all and have no experience at all with Scandi style casting, so I can't really make a comment one way or the other. I'm just going off what Ed Ward seems to be saying. Maybe I'm misinterpreting?

I wonder if the Loomis is a faster action rod--it is not one of their newer models. Tip recovery is one of the things I was always taught was of paramount importance. Ward uses a Loomis to do the video and demonstrate Skagit casting so it is attractive in that sense.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSuibhne View Post

I have SkagitMaster I & II and I get the impression from it that it requires less distance behind you than Scandi and that most of power comes from the bottom hand.
This is not true. Any of the two handed styles can be used in a situation without room behind you.

Keep in mind Ed is using GLX Loomis' in those videos, not the GL3 you're looking at. I've read reports of that GL3 rod being a nice rod,..and also a total dog. You should cast it first if possible.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
This is not true. Any of the two handed styles can be used in a situation without room behind you.

Keep in mind Ed is using GLX Loomis' in those videos, not the GL3 you're looking at. I've read reports of that GL3 rod being a nice rod,..and also a total dog. You should cast it first if possible.

Thanks. Yes, I've kind of gotten the impression that the Loomis is not my best choice of those listed.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of looking for a used Z-axis.

I think the shot(s) that really impressed me the most was where Ed is belly deep in the river and leaning against a log that is parallel to the flow. He lays an anchor on the other side of the log and makes his cast without hooking or coming back behind the log much at all.

Another is where he's crouched in a little...4ft.? 5ft.?...pocket between some trees/brush. He does a perry poke, IIRC, and makes a decent cast. I usually avoid such situations even though I've seen some nice water out in front.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Ed is certainly a great caster, but most claims that a certain thing can only be done with certain line system are false. Be it skagit, scandi, modern, or traditional,....an anchor can always be set out in front of you rather than behind you. If you live near a shop I would really recommend getting there to cast as many rods as you can to see what feels best to you.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Re: the Sage I mentioned...

I would be very interested in a Z-Axis 8129. Anyone have one of these in decent condition that they might want to part with?

PM me.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 AM

max008 is on a distinguished road

If you do get the Loop Grey Line i would guess that it will become your primary rod. It's a great rod that can do just about anything you ask of it. The spare tip is a nice addition, a back up for your back up.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it may help to point out that the heads in Skagit casting are heavy and very short. So short you will need to add a cheater to it. In the style casting I do I need a bit, KEY WORD BEING BIT, more room behind me because the heads are longer. It makes your D loop bogger. So the difference in room you need behind you are a function of two things here. The angle across the river you are casting, and the size of your D loop. Three if you want to toss in the length of your rod (which effects the size of the D loop). It's not like we are talking a huge distance difference. If I take my 15' rod with a head more than double the length of a Skagit head and cast at a 45 across the rivr, I could do it with a cement wall 2' from shore in my dress shoes.

I almost missed it, but welcome to the forum Max!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

You were wondering about a Skagit rod from loomis? The Dredger by loomis is a focused rod for this (I don't know how this rod is from experience). RoaringRiver Dredger GLX Two-Hand

I just started Skagit casting the Missouri. I'm casting from the bank. I have my right foot in the water and I'm doing snap-t's. I'm getting about 80ft. I've just started doing this, btw. Now, I just try not to think about the rocks and do the cast. I had a conversaion with Diver Dan the other day. I think doing some of the Perry-Poke style casts would get the anchor more in front and away from the bank. Anyway, I just thought I'd share the link