The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Spey Leaders by Cutthroat Leader Co.

A recent email/pic from one of our customers.

Mike,

The 35 lb (according to guide Pat on right) salmon was caught in Quebec Canada using an 8 weight Loomis rod along with a 9' Reinforced Spey Leader from Cutthroat Leader Co. a 10 lb tippet and also a Green Bomber (dry fly). The salmon made some spectacular leaps and runs in some very fast water and the leader did not fail (what else can I say).

Thanks,

Ray B.
Click the image to open in full size.
Ray B. with large Salmon.
Click the image to open in full size.
Reinforced Spey Leader

For our Spey Leaders, click below
H Spey Leaders

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spey Leaders by Cutthroat Leader Co.

I'm loving these leaders, Mike! I will have some bass pics, coming soon!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I have recently begun using Cutthroat furled leaders. It worked very well for dry line steelhead fishing on the Deschutes River in Central Oregon. I attached a 10ft spey leader to a scandi head with a built in loop to loop connection. The other end of the leader has a very small ring to which I tied on 6-8 ft of 10lb maxima tippet with a uni knot. I greased the upper 1/3 of the leader starting at the fly line. It cast well even in the wind, turning the fly over nicely and laying out straight. When playing a fish it all held together fine and I liked the way the loop to loop connection slide throught he guides so smoothly with no fear of a knot catching on a guide. I have some 36 in Steelhead leaders to try on sink tips as soon as the Portland area rivers drop into shape.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Dillon, I have asked this about furled leaders befor; have you performed the parbolic curve test at the loop to loop junction of floating line to leader butt and what kind of transition did it illustrate?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

SweetandSalt,
Yes, I did try the test and the furled leader would not hold the curve like mono or a braided leader will with a flyline. This is because the leader is constructed of a softer material making the test useless in this case. The leaders I cast, including a trout leader turned over well and properly presented the fly with a downstream reach cast. I think the weight, diameter, and taper of the leader matches the flyline well enough to make it cast properly. My research on this subject concludes that Nylon monofilament leaders rely primarily on their stiffness to effect a smooth transfer of power from the fly line to the tippet and fly. A furled leader uses its mass and suppleness. I feel that one must cast these leaders to appreciate them. I am looking forward to giving them more extensive use under technical dryfly conditions with a variety of rods. I'm a hands on fisherman needing to feel the performance of equipment intuitively before making final my judgements. I hope you will consider giving them a try as I would value your feedback.

Last edited by dillon; 11-29-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just discussing the physics of why furled leaders turn over on another thread earlier today. What test is this you are talking about? I can tell you, furled leaders do turn over better, especially at a far distance, than mono leaders. As I said in the other thread, it seems kind of counterintuitive that they do turn over better but they do. Has anyone ever looked at the physics of why this is? Seriously, I have furled leaders on my two handers and as I have said, I do 140' casts all the time. With a mono leader they don't layout as straight as furled leaders do almost ever.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

For Forum Members.
If you want to try a furled Spey Leader from us at Cutthroat Leaders, use the link below. It will save 30% off of Spey / Switch Rod leader purchases.

We have had great response from guys using Skagit lines with our 10'-0" leaders. And also our 36" Dregder leader for getting deep fast.

Use the link below or remember to use the coupon code spey-nafff at checkout for a 30% savings on our spey leaders.

CutThroat Leader Co.

Thank you

Mike
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM

MacSuibhne is on a distinguished road

So...are spey leaders included in this generous offer? The link takes me to a page that has lots of furled leaders but no spey leaders?

Is there a time limit on this deal?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Business Member

here is a direct link to the spey leaders. These leaders are also furled...

H Spey Leaders

you will need to use the coupon code spey-nafff to get the savings at checkout.

no limit..... within reason. We will cap the number of leaders per purchase to 20 leaders per order.

Thank you,

Mike