The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fall Walleye, lousy weather

This has been the worst Fall for weather we have had up here in a long time. If it isn't raining, it's blowing 30 MPH and snowing. What's really amazing is that it went from summer into this like hitting a switch. The weather guys keep saying it is going to be nice a few days out, but it has not come to pass. I can take fishing in the cold. I can even put up with some rain. But wind on top of it and I start wanting to watch a movie instead. This also has been another case in the Walleyes don't do the same thing two years in a row. The only good big fish bite when I have gone has been that right at dark bite. Nothing real late and just a ton of Pike before. They have also been on the bottom again. This is likely due to a lousy shiner run this year.

I did break my personal record however, for the farthest out Pike I have ever caught fly fishing. It was a mid thirty inch type fish, nice but not huge. I hooked it way out at the end of a cast right on the bottom an easy 130' out. Here is a typical Fall Walleye from up here.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:16 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fall Walleye, lousy weather

Nice 'eye Dan! And a Pike at 130', that fight had to be interesting, see the splashing before you feel the tugging!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Nice 'eye Dan! And a Pike at 130', that fight had to be interesting, see the splashing before you feel the tugging!
It was down on the bottom. I was using clousers and counting them down. It hit all the way out and all the way down. It's easy to tell how far you cast where I was fishing. The Railroad bridge has 30' sections with a crossed set of beams in the middle. It's a pretty good set of markers every 15'. I just look up and see where I'm standing under the section and you can count from there.
I put the cast right up against the piling, but I figure that by the time it sank I lost at good 10'. I don't think I stripped 2' back when it nailed it. I was sure I had a big Walleye for a bit. It did a fairly good imitation of one at first. Then it did a good run and I knew, "nope, Pike." One of these days I am going to get a Mooneye behind the piling in the slack water. Tiny dry fly and a cast of at least 145'. I had the chance once and these two boats saw the fish raising, and me casting to them. They pulled anchor and dropped right in the middle of them.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are so lucky to be close to a place like that Dan. Big fish not dependant on a 'return' and you can get after them at ice out right up till the freeze. As you know the season here was not the best for 2012 and I'm looking at that Walleye and thinking ............ Oh well maybe 2013 will turn things around here and I can get all slimy all the time.

Nice fish
Guest1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome long distance hookup Dan! Great fish! Think with those long distance casts time to go somewhere warm and salty! Just a thought!
Guest1 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Awesome long distance hookup Dan! Great fish! Think with those long distance casts time to go somewhere warm and salty! Just a thought!
I'd settle for just the Warm part of it right now.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I'm thinking about a road trip to the rainy river, soon...
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Cool... I have never heard of flyfishing for Walleye. I live just minutes from the Lower Columbia River. Perhaps I will try Spey casting for them. Maybe it will start a new trend out here.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Congrats on the great looking fish! You're getting the lousy cold wet wx and we are basking in relatively warm wx out here in Wyoming. I'm trying to get out and enjoy it while it lasts as I know the hammer is about to come crashing down any day now.

Larry
Guest1 likes this.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
Cool... I have never heard of flyfishing for Walleye. .... Perhaps I will try Spey casting for them. Maybe it will start a new trend out here.
I know, it's a bit odd that more people don't do it. Especially with two hand rods. It seemed like a logical choice for targeting Walleye. I've been doing it for I think 5 years now with a two hander. I have posted about it all over the place, and yet last I checked if you googled spey rod and walleye together, I am all you get. I am kinda surprised because it's not like I keep it a secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
I'm thinking about a road trip to the rainy river, soon...
Soon might be to late. The weather here has gone into deep freeze wind tunnel test. It may be Spring before it would be a fishable thing. On the bright side, the Spring Fishing here is world famous. No Joke.