The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM

dcross is on a distinguished road
Default newbie questions

New to the forum and have learned a lot already. I am interested in graduating to a switch rod, I have read through most of the other posts looking for my answer but unable to locate. My plan of attack is to utilize my reel I use on a single hand, 9' 8wt rod which is a Lamson guru, 3.5 reel and put it on the newly purchased switch rod. The reel will accomodate 8/9 lines so from what I have learned is to look for a 7wt switch rod and run a 8/9 switch line, is that accurate thinking? I mostly fish for steelies/browns/salmon in the Erie/Ontario trips. As far as all the line heads, scandi/sagkit, I am totally confused. I have reviewed Rio's page on lines and still am confused. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie questions

Just wanted to say welcome since I see it's your first post. I don't know about spey/switch rods and lines, but I'm sure one of the folks one here that does will be able to help you out.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to decide on the types of flies that you wish to throw and to which depths. Are you planning on dredging the bottom part of the water column with heavy and bulky flies like Intruders? Are you planning on working the upper parts of the water column with traditional flies like Silver Hiltons?

Dennis
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I fish the tribs of Lakes Erie and Ontario, most of the areas are shallow creek water using a floating line with minimal weight. I am looking for a switch combo in order to cast more distance on bigger water areas which are typically in the Ontario tribs.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try to respond to your questions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross View Post
New to the forum and have learned a lot already. I am interested in graduating to a switch rod, I have read through most of the other posts looking for my answer but unable to locate. My plan of attack is to utilize my reel I use on a single hand, 9' 8wt rod which is a Lamson guru, 3.5 reel and put it on the newly purchased switch rod.

Nothing wrong with the reel, but what you have to take into account is 'spey lines' are not only long, but usually far thicker that that of a single hander. So two things come to mind: 1) What type of line you choose (aka a 'head system like a Skagit or Scandi or a full on line) 2) Second is what kind of 'shooting line' you choose. Most head systems will require you to buy a shooting line which goes on behind 'the head.' (You can get them both ways.) A full on line will come equipped with one.

Personal opin here only, but I prefer to keep them separate if you go with a Scandi or a Skagit. That way all you have to do is swap out the head if you want to change 'heads.' Shooting lines come in two sizes (generalization here only) .024 and .030. Another choice is something like 'Amnesia' which looks like heavy monofilimant.

The reel will accommodate 8/9 lines so from what I have learned is to look for a 7wt switch rod and run a 8/9 switch line, is that accurate thinking?

Almost. All 2handers have a grain range, some pretty darned wide. And the term 'a #7' has ZERO relationship to that of a single hander (far heavier!!) Sooo, the first thing you do is pick the rod you want then go on RIO's and Airflo's web sites and see what line(s) and grain weights they recommend. There are hundreds of rods listed so the odds of finding yours is 99%.

From those lists you'll get a good idea what's available out there (there are a ton of other good line makers), but you have a good starting point. Another viable option is having Steve Godshall (he's here in Medford, OR) build you a custom cut. Won't cost you a cent more than something off the shelf, but you'll a line that's made for your type of fishing, your casting, etc.

I mostly fish for steelies/browns/salmon in the Erie/Ontario trips. As far as all the line heads, scandi/sagkit, I am totally confused. I have reviewed Rio's page on lines and still am confused. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All that said, lets go back to line choice. Fellows above have touched on several very good points. To over simplify: If you want to toss big bushy flies or toss them off of a sink tip, a Skagit head is what you want. ('Mass in the Ass' sort of thing.) If you'll be tossing smaller (all be it lightly weighted flies) and want to use sinking poly leaders, a Scandi set up is what you want. Last, light flies slightly sub surface then a full on floating line of some sort.
To recap: Once you choose the way you want to fish (start with the fly and work backwards), then the choice of line(s) becomes pretty easy if you know the grain range of the rod.

Hows that for an over-kill answer?

Fred

PS: Welcome to the Asylum.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I can totally relate to this. I have an Orvis access switch with a lamson guru reel on it. It's a 4. It fits the line just fine with room. So, I don't think you will have an issue. Also, I have the Orvis access switch rod for sale if you're interested. I love the rod, but I love my big spey rod even more!!! So, it's got to go. It's less than a month old. And, I've only casted it once.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Thanks so much Fred for you answer. Very informative and I appreciate you taking the time break down my questions to address each complex point. I now have a better understanding on how to approach my needs. I stood riverside a few weeks ago with a switch fisherman and he had me totally confused. I actually have a few buddies I work with that laugh at us flyfisherman because we are always discussing things and some comment, "how hard can it be, put a worm or minnow on and then catch a fish." They are sadly mistaken in the world of fishing.

Thanks again for your help.

Don

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

delopez,

thanks for the offer on the rod but to be honest with you, I am not looking to spend a lot of money initially until I see if I love it. I am sure if I do, I will go crazy on equipment. I have researched Rugged Creek set ups, reel, line, and rod for $299.00 but have also looked at St Croix Imperial switch rods for $250ish. I actually have two St Croix Imperial 9 footers, in 5 wt for trout, 8 wt, steelhead/salmon and really love the rods.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross View Post
Thanks so much Fred for you answer. Very informative and I appreciate you taking the time break down my questions to address each complex point. I now have a better understanding on how to approach my needs. I stood riverside a few weeks ago with a switch fisherman and he had me totally confused. I actually have a few buddies I work with that laugh at us flyfisherman because we are always discussing things and some comment, "how hard can it be, put a worm or minnow on and then catch a fish." They are sadly mistaken in the world of fishing.

Thanks again for your help.

Don

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

delopez,

thanks for the offer on the rod but to be honest with you, I am not looking to spend a lot of money initially until I see if I love it. I am sure if I do, I will go crazy on equipment. I have researched Rugged Creek set ups, reel, line, and rod for $299.00 but have also looked at St Croix Imperial switch rods for $250ish. I actually have two St Croix Imperial 9 footers, in 5 wt for trout, 8 wt, steelhead/salmon and really love the rods.

Yeah, I could part with this rod for 300. But, I definitely couldn't part with it for lower than that...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"Thanks so much Fred for you answer. Very informative and I appreciate you taking the time break down my questions to address each complex point. I now have a better understanding on how to approach my needs."

You're most welcome Sir. 2hander fishing is an expensive 'Mistress,' but (somewhat) like 'sex.' There's always something new ....

I have no idea anymore how many rods I own, and the new one was delivered Yesterday. Actually, totally 'retro. ' One of the original Sage 'Brownies.' 71360-4's in pristine condition and a 1930'ish Hardy Marquis Salmon 2. Reels a bit worse for 'where' (obviously well used), the rod ... mint. Almost want to buy a silk line for these two; what a marriage that would be.

Fred

Edit: For got the reminder, start at the fly and work backwards.