The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First spey...Need help

Maybe I'm just jealous?

Hey Chased, I'm curious as to what rod you had the Triangle Taper line on?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 11-30-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Poppy from the Red Shed got me set up with a matched rod and line to test. What a guy!

Fysh, I don't recall ever using a TT, maybe you got me confused with somebody else? Who knows lol....

Thanks for the recommendations guys, hopefully I will be able to test the rod next weekend and see what all of the rage is about

-Chase
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Your right I do have you confused with someone else, the member selling the TT lines here in the classifieds. Sorry 'bout that.

Poppy's a good egg and will do his best to make you happy with your purchase. What did you get?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

He is sending somthing along the lines of a 12'6" 6wt spey for me to demo. Can't wait to give it a try!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Cool, anxious to see and hear how it goes for ya. Keep us posted.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

If you're looking to retrieve some line after each cast I'd go with a Scandi or a Rage line and a 12' to 13' rod. For casting bigger flies and for dealing with windy conditions, I'd choose a Rage, which will also handle sinking flies and polyleaders better. (For both lines you'll need polyleaders.)

For delicate presentations - casting dry flies - I prefer a Scandi.

With long belly lines - though I've never cast one - you'll have trouble making shorter casts, but you won't have to retrieve after each cast. Also, many feel that longer belly lines are harder for beginners to cast.

BTW, Scandi lines are prone to blown anchors, so make sure you don't execute your lift too high or fast, and lift with your arms not with breaking your wrists.

Because the river looks pretty wide, I'd stay away from shorter switch and spey rods.

Finally, I would tend to err on the side of a heavier rod as it will help you cast heavier flies and fight fish without hurting them.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 12-01-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Your right I do have you confused with someone else, the member selling the TT lines here in the classifieds. Sorry 'bout that.
I'm selling the TT in the classifieds. I had them on a 7wt switch rod. The heads are 20ish feet long and have a grain weight of 400. However, I wanted something a little better for skagit and went with the 475grain rio skagit flight. the TT did it's job well, though. It's a shame that they didn't make the line in 25 grain increments and a little longer.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
OK,

So maybe I recommend the huge rods because that's all I have
Nothing wrong with 'big rods' Ard, but with a New Comer I'd never hand them anything over a 14' rod rated at an 8wt until they've got the basic's down pretty tight. Heavier equipment is just too tiring when you're learning how to cast.

Just my personal observation.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

chased, first off I hope you go through with your purchase and get on that great looking water you have. I agree with Dan bigger is better in the spey world and after this bug bites you forget your single hand rods unless your fihing a brook or run you probably wont use them much any more. It amazes me the knowledge this group of guys have and are willing to share it. Good luck and fish hard.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I fish a trout Spey in tailwaters in Tennessee a acr 3 wt. and enjoy it very much for both smallmouth bass and trout. It will cast what I need for streamers and nymphs. Just remember a 3 wt Spey is kin to a 6wt. Single hand rod.and a 5 wt Spey is kin to a 8 wt singlehanded so may help you understand the difference between Spey rods and singlehanded. My 2 cents.