The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: First switch rod - line assistance

Rio Scandi Short in 8wt comes with everything you need, or a Wulff Ambush line in an 11wt. Before you settle on a line you have to figure out what suits you best so try a bunch of lines out in a range from 450 up 550. Every rod is different like every caster is different. So far this season is lame on our side of the tribs and to be honest a switch rod isn't going to do anything your single hander can't.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

As an line/application 'over view,' Carl's nailed it above.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 PM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

I have the older version on that rod, the 8wt rio speydicator, works nicely..
Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I fish the Lake Michigan tribs in Wisconsin, our steelhead season has been terrible. Thank goodness for Browns and coho's.
I too am buying a switch rod. I fish medium sized rivers with flows of about 100-150 cfm and about 60-80 ft wide. A switch rod will do things that a single hander can't or does less efficiently.
When fishing streamers/swinging flys you can cast any where in river without worrying about back cast and you can cast much farther. You can cover all the river effectively. Single hander can't cast to many areas due to needing sinking leader/weighted flies so long roll casts don't work and back casts can't happen because of tress/brush/high grassy banks.

When nymphing a longer rod is obviously better for roll casting and mending so switch rod has advantage here.

Myself I haven't decided on 7 or 8wt yet or Sage One or TCX. I am going to Rio Scandi short versi tip line.

Good luck to you on your choice.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post

Myself I haven't decided on 7 or 8wt yet or Sage One or TCX. I am going to Rio Scandi short versi tip line.

Good luck to you on your choice.
I was in the fly shop over this past weekend and was playing around with the 7116 One. Sweet rod. There was no TCX there to compare it to, but from what I recall fishing with one last year, they are compatible. The TCX is still the faster of the two. Both beautiful rods.

That gives me something to think about as to which 2 hander might be the better option if I want to go that route. My bud fishes the same general tribs you are but won't even look at a 2 hander. I on the other hand, really enjoy them. Is there a general preference or "standard" as far as switch rods for that region?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 AM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

I had really good luck using Airflo speydicator with a couple of my switch rods....cast very well but where it really excels is its fishablity. The website does a better job describing it then i could.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am going to Rio Scandi short versi tip line.
I've been fishing this line all fall and it's a super easy line to cast. Easily handles polys off the tips or go straight mono off the tips. Never cast a bobber off it cause that's not my bag but I don't think it would have a problem doing so.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Rio scandi short versi tip is a great option for switch rods, I use one now and then on my 11' 8wt z-axis. However, for the "all-rounder" line application I find that the airflo rage compact line fits the bill better than any other head, its taper is very similar to scandi short. Of course this is just my opinion. Also, when grain suggestions are concerned, those rio and airflo charts tend to run a bit heavy. They suggest my rod uses between a 510 and 525 grain, but lines this heavy overload the rod and don't give me a nice tailing loop. Your cabela's rod is obviously very different from the z-axis so grains will be different. I use a 450 grain scandi, and 480 grain rage compact. the point is these are lighter then suggested and load the rod a lot nicer than my 510 and 525 grain lines. Your gunna need to try various weights before you find the sweet spot, its all personal preference, use those grain suggestion charts as a starting point, but trust your gut and use what feels right, thats the key with grains.
HuronRiverDan likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Jaybo41,
From what I've noticed is there is no "standard" in this area. I fish one river almost daily and I know a couple of guys who use switch rods. After watching and talking with them I can see it's the best tool for the job. One is a scandi the other a skagit. I know there others but I don't know what they use. I have seen on occasion people using "big" spey rods on this river. I think it's kind of silly myself. They tend to be fishing in the unproductive water. Must be a casting practice thing. There are other rivers in the area that are more spey friendly however.

I ended up going with a 7 wt Sage One. Waiting for it to show up and then I'll have to figure out how to use it. Hopefully we'll see some warm weather for a couple of days so that I can get in the river.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Jaybo41,
From what I've noticed is there is no "standard" in this area. I fish one river almost daily and I know a couple of guys who use switch rods. After watching and talking with them I can see it's the best tool for the job. One is a scandi the other a skagit. I know there others but I don't know what they use. I have seen on occasion people using "big" spey rods on this river. I think it's kind of silly myself. They tend to be fishing in the unproductive water. Must be a casting practice thing. There are other rivers in the area that are more spey friendly however.

I ended up going with a 7 wt Sage One. Waiting for it to show up and then I'll have to figure out how to use it. Hopefully we'll see some warm weather for a couple of days so that I can get in the river.
Klunker, when you get the rod invest in a casting lesson, the instructor will probably have some different lines you can try out. You'll find that you like a particular line much more then the others; no matter what other folks tell you you should get, that's the line you want.
Dan
jaybo41 likes this.