The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monsters do exist, I need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Maybe we can introduce my ex to your ex. "Monster, Jabba the ex. Jabba the ex, monster."
They'd probably get along just fine ... 'Birds of a Feather' sort of thing?
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 AM

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland & part of year in Kafjord, Norway
tonyprior is on a distinguished road

Well very interesting. I haven't seen or heard of a 20' Hardy over here in UK, though doubtless one or two exist. But yesterday I came across an interesting article on the subject of long rods, by our last rod-builder in Scotland, Harry Jamieson of the Trossachs Rod Company, the maker of 'Clan' rods. Mr Jamieson traces a direct lineage to Alexander Grant of Inverness, whose exploits with the long greenheart 'Vibration' rods and silk lines at the turn of the last century were only recently equalled (distance casting). He holds some very unfashionable theories as to the usefulness of long rods versus short rods, which can be found here:

http://www.clanofsweden.com/document...0the%20rod.pdf

I believe the Trossachs Rod Co is still in business and the rods are highly thought of by those in the know. (I have no affiliation with the company, btw,)

Good luck with your search
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hmmm, tarpon on the spey??

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thing is your probably gonna find one! There is a surf rod company out there that makes a 19'8" rod and a 23' rod of carbon /graphite. They call their rods "Monster Rods"!
Back in the 30s and 40s when casting competitions were real big Winston made the winning sticks. You have a 15 from them now what's 5 more feet? Can't wait to see this thing!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this thread on the speypages.. Discussion of long rods and a mention of two companies that do a 20' stick: The 18 Footers - a discussion and comparison - Spey Pages
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Fred! Looked them up Bruce & Walker Norway Speycaster 20' 4 piece ! This thing is a monster! And they've got a bunch of 18s like they're run of the mill!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM

Had one of the 18's and it was a 'Monster Rod;' far more than I could handle. I can just imagine what a 20'er would be like.

If you decide to jump on the 20 footer (http://bruceandwalker.co.uk/products...peycaster-4x4/) one thing to keep in mind the 20% VAT is waived as rod is being shipped 'out country.' To get a rough idea of 'your cost' take the list price 'times' .8 'times' $1.62 (approx. conversion rate of dollar to the Pound). Shipping would be costly due to the length of the package. Will have to go UPS/DSL/whom-ever. Max length of a Postal package (if memory serves) is 1 meter long, and you'd be waaaay over that.

Forgot to add: I purchased my 18 footer direct from B & W, whole process went 'as smooth as silk.'

Fred
Guest1 likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-03-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fred. I appreciate the research you have done in this. Carron does a 20'er also, but they don't tell you what they get for one. Team Carron has done some amazing things with those rods. At least if I can't find the Hardy 20'er, there are a couple more options.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Thanks Fred. I appreciate the research you have done in this. Carron does a 20'er also, but they don't tell you what they get for one. Team Carron has done some amazing things with those rods. At least if I can't find the Hardy 20'er, there are a couple more options.
Couple of things. In Comp casting 18' is as long as it gets to my knowledge. The bad news is 'Team Carron' is no more. Disbanded about a year ago.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
The bad news is 'Team Carron' is no more. Disbanded about a year ago.
Oh no! What happened there? Does Gordon Armstrong still cast for Carron or do they even do competitions now?

I saw a competition a while back where they used real fishing conditions in a river with 15' rods. The top two places were really far casts. But everyone else, not so much.