The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Re: My first two-hander

This is going to demonstrate how little I know about Spey casting.
One of the lines I ordered arrived this AM. It's the 34ft 510 gr Scandi line.
But, as it says, it's 34 ft long. What goes next on the reel?
I've looked in the Spey forums here and see I need a 'running line'. What's that?
Is there something special about it, or is it just a level line.
What weight should I start with on this 13' 3" #8 Spey rod?
Sorry for all the really basic questions.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

You're gonna want to look at Amnesia, Airflow, SA Sharkskin, and Rio makes a running line. That's what allows the shooting head to cast so far. It is attached to the backing ( I use an Albright knot) and then attached to the rear end of the "head" at which point I use a lager enough surgeons loop so that the entire head can pass through. If you do alot of fishing in winter I would stray away from the amnesia as it gave me a PINA sticking to rocks and getting very stiff in the freezing cold. I think that 510 might be a touch heavy for real deal Scandi casting I fished a 13'6 Brownie for a while with a 490 and that was butter. With Scandi casting you don't need the heavy head because the line speed is generated in the fist third of the rod using a very short fast bottom hand motion. People tend to over load the rod and horse the cast out because they can't feel the "load", which you won't (in a traditional sense) if you're casting a Scandi line the right way. But wait till you try all the lines you ordered, check out some more youtube videos and really try to understand the motions, if you master the mechanics of the cast then the rod will "tell you" what line it wants.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"One of the lines I ordered arrived this AM. It's the 34ft 510 gr Scandi line.
But, as it says, it's 34 ft long. What goes next on the reel?"

For clarity, is this a whole line INCLUDING a shooting line behind the head. Or just a 34 foot long 'head?' If the first all you'll need is backing. 125 to 150 yards of 30# dacron, or what ever you like. EXCEPT Gel Spun. Stay the heck away from that stuff on a fly rod. Stuff cuts like a knife.

If the second you will have to get a shooting line. Lots of brand choices out there, personally I use RIO's. But some folks prefer Blonds, some Redheads, etc. That said, all the one's I've seen are 100 foot long and usually come 'pre-looped' to connect the 'head' to the shooting line. Only choice beyond that is 'how fat' do you want same? Personal opin here only but with 5wt and down I use the .024, 6 and up the .030. Suspect, other than one's 'fatter' than the other the real deal may be the core is stronger on the .03.

For cold weather work the extra width really helps!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
For clarity, is this a whole line INCLUDING a shooting line behind the head. Or just a 34 foot long 'head?' If the first all you'll need is backing. 125 to 150 yards of 30# dacron, or what ever you like.
The whole thing is 34 ft long.
I see Rio has a running line called SlickShooter. I think I can get that locally.

However, having nothing else, I wound on a bunch of 30# mono to try. The 'real' spey line makes a huge difference as everyone said it would. It's really easy to feel the rod load up even with the coiling mono I have on there. Casting 70-75 ft feels like casting 45-50 with a one-hander.

Thanks, again, everyone.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
The whole thing is 34 ft long.
I see Rio has a running line called SlickShooter. I think I can get that locally.

However, having nothing else, I wound on a bunch of 30# mono to try. The 'real' spey line makes a huge difference as everyone said it would. It's really easy to feel the rod load up even with the coiling mono I have on there. Casting 70-75 ft feels like casting 45-50 with a one-hander.

Thanks, again, everyone.
The Mono will work as that's "all" Amnesia is, but in really cold weather this stuff 'coils like a snake.' Spey lines (is there an exception?) are all formulated for 'cold water' applications. No idea what 'mono' have come off the drawing board's intent. At one time, it was 'the only choice,' no longer.

The 'SlickShooter' is a good product and a genuine step up from their older 'Shooting line.'
Old 12-22-2012, 11:57 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
with the coiling mono I have on there
Peel it off the reel put a snap swivel on the "head" end and attach it to something strong and take a 100 foot walk stretching the mono as you go you'll feel it stretch and want to stay that way. It keeps the coils at bay for a little while.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
But some folks prefer Blonds, some Redheads, etc.
I don't discriminate, Fred!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly do yourself a favor and buy a rio running line, and get yourself an airflo scandi compact head, this is possibly the easiest line to learn on. It loads incredibly well and the taper is conducive to beginners. Its only good for dries and sinking poly leaders, no heavy sink tips. but you'll need a scandi and skagit head to cover your bases in the water column. The advantage of airflo vs. rio is that airflo lines are made without PVC, this allows them to last longer and are more durable, they don't crack after heavy use. My opinion at least, you can check out suggested grains for your rod on the echo website, it has a chart PDF file with your rod and suggested airflo lines and weights. All the fisherman I know prefer the airflo heads over the rio heads, they are incredibly well made shooting heads, get one, you wont be dissapointed.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Wink Re: My first two-hander

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
I don't discriminate, Fred!
At my age I 'discriminate' with anything that will even tell me what time of day it is. What puts them off is I also have to ask 'What day of the Week too?'
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Instead of a Scandi head I'd go with an Airflo Rage head. It can handle wind and heavier flies better. The important thing with short-head lines is to not execute your lift too quickly or too high. If you do you'll blow your anchor.

Randy
fysh likes this.