The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first two-hander

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Instead of a Scandi head I'd go with an Airflo Rage head. It can handle wind and heavier flies better. The important thing with short-head lines is to not execute your lift too quickly or too high. If you do you'll blow your anchor.

Randy

I have a Rage 425 gr on my 13' 7wt and absolutely love it!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 12-24-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Honestly, so far, I think the best bet is to call Bob meiser, tell him the rod you have, the length, etc., and have him make you an aggressive scandi matched to your rod. The guy knows what he's doing and having the perfect length, weight, etc. to match your rod is unbeatable in my opinion.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, again, everyone.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I love my Scandi head. It's great for casting dry flies and making delicate presentations; but on the other hand, it's kind of limited. Because I often fish streamers, I'm going with my Rage head more and more.

Randy
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Steve Gotshall is the custom line maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Honestly, so far, I think the best bet is to call Bob meiser, tell him the rod you have, the length, etc., and have him make you an aggressive scandi matched to your rod. The guy knows what he's doing and having the perfect length, weight, etc. to match your rod is unbeatable in my opinion.
Actually its Steve Gotshall who builds the lines for Bob and Gary Anderson. There may be one more in that mix: 541 840 2594 is his phone number. Have several for my rods; all one off's. Even if you/I had the same rod its doubtful we'd get exactly the same line. Won't cost you a penny more than something off the shelf.

Fred