The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/)
-   -   My first two-hander (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/305694-my-first-two-hander.html)

plecain 12-20-2012 07:58 AM

My first two-hander

I gave myself an early Christmas present - a Redington 13' 3" 8 wt spey rod. Thought it might be fun to try. I'll likely be using it mainly on wide, fairly open rivers.
According to Redington, this is a 'true fast action' rod.
I put a WF8F line on it and took it out to the beaver pond that's on my land to try casting the thing. Boy, it's big.
I really had to fight my tendency to cast it one-handed, though.

What do I need to learn/unlearn to cast this rod?

Any suggestions on line weights or types?

latshki 12-20-2012 08:00 AM

Re: My first two-hander

what line is it? scandi or skagit? or did you just throw a normal single handed line on it?

plecain 12-20-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latshki (Post 508624)
what line is it? scandi or skagit? or did you just throw a normal single handed line on it?

It's a normal single-handed Cortland WF8F.
It's what I had.
I should also have said that I'll be fishing for trout, with streamers. There are salmon where I'll fish, but not many.

randyflycaster 12-20-2012 08:45 AM

That line won't work very well. You'll have to choose a Spey line. I would read up on different lines and decide the one that best suit your needs. Some anglers, however, feel long-belly lines are the hardest to learn to cast, but with those lines you won't have to retrieve line after each cast.

If, by chance, you want to use a traditional fly line you'll have to go up three or four weights.

Getting Started With Spey Casting

Randy

wt bash 12-20-2012 08:51 AM

Check this out, it should help give you an idea of where you want to be line-wise.

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summ...ons%202013.pdf

plecain 12-20-2012 12:14 PM

Wow.

Lots of information on the sites you guys listed. I felt like I was back in school doing a homework assignment.

The RIO site line-picker app has my rod in it (Redington CPX 8133). Based on my answers to the questions there, it suggests Steelhead Scandi 31ft 480gr - 34ft 510 gr or AFS Shooting Head 7/8F 460gr 30gm - 8/9F 520gr 34 gm.

What say you, spey fishermen?

wt bash 12-20-2012 12:20 PM

Use it as a starting point what I like on mine could be totally different from what you and others might. You have to try a couple different lines to see what fits your casting stroke, the size flies you want to fish, and weather you want to cast to the far bank or not.

fredaevans 12-20-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 508634)
That line won't work very well. You'll have to choose a Spey line. I would read up on different lines and decide the one that best suit your needs. Some anglers, however, feel long-belly lines are the hardest to learn to cast, but with those lines you won't have to retrieve line after each cast.

If, by chance, you want to use a traditional fly line you'll have to go up three or four weights.

Getting Started With Spey Casting

Randy

Much truth to what Randy's said above. Single hander lines are much lighter than their two hander counterparts. That aside, the rod you got should be a killer casting tool with a Skagit set up.:wavetowel

Fred

Guest1 12-20-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plecain (Post 508627)
It's a normal single-handed Cortland WF8F.

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 508634)
That line won't work very well.

The only thing I disagree with Randy on this is in degree. That line won't work at all. Single hand lines vs. Spey lines are in no way related. The weights are not even close. You will end up either thinking you suck, the rod sucks or both suck if you continue to try and use that line. Call the Red Shed fly shop and ask what the grain window is for that rod and what style they had in mind when the designed it.

Being that they described it as "a 'true fast action' rod" I am going to say Scandi. This is a bottom hand style cast. Go look at YouTube for videos by Heinrik Mortensen. There are a lot of guys that love this style, I personally don't. Scandi rods tend to be fast action and have shorter top grips. Look where he holds his hand on the top grip. The lower you go due to the nature of the type cast the higher the rod tip speed. This is the opposite to the traditional style cast which I do.

Lastly, get that line off of your rod. Don't cast it till you have the proper line as it is harder to unlearn than learn and using a single hand line will teach you bad habits. Here is the link to the Red Shed. Get the right line first Ask for grain window

Larry posted a great link a while back so I am editing this to include it.

plecain 12-20-2012 01:48 PM

Thanks, everyone.

I ordered one of each of the lines RIO suggested. Fortunately I have two reels that are large enough for that weight line.

I'll give them each a try.