The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best 'dissertation on Skagit lines and tips I've seen.

Dang! That's the best by a long shot. I'm going to copy some of those charts. That's the kind of information I love. It's like the dive curves I have for long line trolling crankbaits. ( I do some non-fly stuff ) I can put a crankbait exactly a foot off of the bottom. This gives you a precision to your swing. My vote for post of the day.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

If some this ice doesn't thaw, Dan, I might be calling to make plans to come up. This whole not bein able to fish idea is killing me. Makes me want to take my rod to bass pro and fish in their indoor pond....
Old 12-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best 'dissertation on Skagit lines and tips I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
5mph current, 20-30', average. It is definitely tough.
I'm not sure about 30' but 20' is do'able. I hooked the bottom in what I know is 22' deep just above where the Rapid River comes into the Rainy River. I was trying to swing the bottom and did it a little to well. Lost my fly. The river gets narrower there so it speeds up. It was a good 5mph (guessing) when I did it. That's the deepest I have hooked the bottom. I did it with the Trevor Morgan sinking line and a slim clouser with a large set of eyes. I cast about 1/4 up river and hit the bottom solid at just past 1/4 downstream. I was also using an 18' leader.

Speaking of the bottom, I have a mapping GPS and the chip for my river. It has the bottom all the way from Lake of the Woods to Rainy Lake in 1' increments. It shows everything but lost fishing tackle. If you fish the same river a lot, and it's a deep one, it really pays to have a setup like that.

They are driving anything they want on the lake now. I was going to go Pike fish the last weekend but the dang weather has been to cold to pull the fish out without hurting them. I didn't want to chance freezing gills fins and eyes. If you come up and it's to cold I have an ice house we can set in if it's to cold for Pike. Give me a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Makes me want to take my rod to bass pro and fish in their indoor pond....
Mall of America has really big saltwater aquariums.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-31-2012 at 12:05 PM.