Best 'dissertation on Skagit lines and tips I've seen.

wt bash

Reaction score
Does it rival the Skagit Wars from Speypages?;):D

All jokes aside that is some prime info there, and coming from those guys it's basically gospel! Granted I haven't fished my two hander in a while, the graph provided a good outline as to why I've moved away from Skagit for fishing the tribs here. That said it provided a great platform to learn from and it was definitely a fun way to fish. But for 90% of the water here its just too much when you factor in depth, the typical low flow winters and other variables, for early fall/sprig high water they (Skagit heads and heavy tips) definitely come in handy. But I found a Sacndi head combined with, our favorite a furled leader doused in Sinket, gets the job done just as good if not better. Keep in mind I'm talking about the Ohio tribs and my preferred "style" of swinging. Others will have different experiences I'm sure. Anyhow good info there Fred!

Last edited:

delopez

Reaction score
Damn good article and explanation. If the SGS sinking IScandi doesn't work for me, I'm ordering the SA Skagit Extreme! That'll do the job, well!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Damn good article and explanation. If the SGS sinking IScandi doesn't work for me, I'm ordering the SA Skagit Extreme! That'll do the job, well!
Have one of Steve's Intermed 'scandi plunge' heads on my 11' glass 6wt. 27.5' at 430 grains. Put a 5' RIO 'compensator' on the end of that then a sink tip. Lines a total treat to cast.

delopez

Reaction score
The IScandi I got from Steve is also 27.5'. He said it would be wonderful on my rod to cast. He also sent me his tips to go on it

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

How is lifting that line up and out on the glass? Sounds like its a non-issue.
I haven't got to cast this line too much yet. I have a through-action rod (deer creek 13'6 8/9) and it feels pretty easy. Again Fred would be the more knowledgable one on this line. I feel that since it's 27.5', it makes it easy to life and cast. Bob Meiser really stressed to me to always buy a rod with good dangle release, which is what we're referring to. So, I'm glad to have one...

A 55' sinking head, on the other hand, might be a bit more of a challenge...

wt bash

Reaction score
I sold all of my "long" rods and I left myself with a Deer Creek 11' 7/8 and an 11' 7wt cane that I would be too scared to fish a sinking line off of but for the DC, I like the idea of a intermediate Scandi especially coming from Steve. Then I could save the cane for dryline fishing and have the DC set up for fall/spring spate.

delopez

Reaction score
I have to get down 20-30' in my water. So, we're still trying to figure it all out. However, right now there are icebergs on the river so that's out of the question. :s

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Speaking of the Deer Creek... I love the blue color of the switch rod. But I absolutely hate the purple on the spey rod. :s

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Dang! That's the best by a long shot. :thumbup: I'm going to copy some of those charts. That's the kind of information I love. It's like the dive curves I have for long line trolling crankbaits. ( :sorry: I do some non-fly stuff ) I can put a crankbait exactly a foot off of the bottom. This gives you a precision to your swing. My vote for post of the day.

delopez

Reaction score
If some this ice doesn't thaw, Dan, I might be calling to make plans to come up. This whole not bein able to fish idea is killing me. Makes me want to take my rod to bass pro and fish in their indoor pond....

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
5mph current, 20-30', average. :) It is definitely tough.
I'm not sure about 30' but 20' is do'able. I hooked the bottom in what I know is 22' deep just above where the Rapid River comes into the Rainy River. I was trying to swing the bottom and did it a little to well. Lost my fly. The river gets narrower there so it speeds up. It was a good 5mph (guessing) when I did it. That's the deepest I have hooked the bottom. I did it with the Trevor Morgan sinking line and a slim clouser with a large set of eyes. I cast about 1/4 up river and hit the bottom solid at just past 1/4 downstream. I was also using an 18' leader.

Speaking of the bottom, I have a mapping GPS and the chip for my river. It has the bottom all the way from Lake of the Woods to Rainy Lake in 1' increments. It shows everything but lost fishing tackle. If you fish the same river a lot, and it's a deep one, it really pays to have a setup like that.

They are driving anything they want on the lake now. I was going to go Pike fish the last weekend but the dang weather has been to cold to pull the fish out without hurting them. I didn't want to chance freezing gills fins and eyes. If you come up and it's to cold I have an ice house we can set in if it's to cold for Pike. Give me a call.

Makes me want to take my rod to bass pro and fish in their indoor pond....
Mall of America has really big saltwater aquariums. :teef:

Last edited: