The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/)
-   -   Best 'dissertation on Skagit lines and tips I've seen. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/how-spey-cast-technique-advice/306664-best-dissertation-skagit-lines-tips-ive-seen.html)

fredaevans 12-31-2012 08:35 AM

Best 'dissertation on Skagit lines and tips I've seen.

Advertising aside, Mark's out done himself with this 'discussion/dissection of Skagit Heads and sink tips. This is one that you'll want to Bookmark. Do a cut and paste into your Browser and back out the open bit.

http://www. flyfishusa.com/newsletter/123112/

wt bash 12-31-2012 09:32 AM

Re: Best 'dissertation on Skagit lines and tips I've seen.

Does it rival the Skagit Wars from Speypages?;):D

All jokes aside that is some prime info there, and coming from those guys it's basically gospel! Granted I haven't fished my two hander in a while, the graph provided a good outline as to why I've moved away from Skagit for fishing the tribs here. That said it provided a great platform to learn from and it was definitely a fun way to fish. But for 90% of the water here its just too much when you factor in depth, the typical low flow winters and other variables, for early fall/sprig high water they (Skagit heads and heavy tips) definitely come in handy. But I found a Sacndi head combined with, our favorite a furled leader doused in Sinket, gets the job done just as good if not better. Keep in mind I'm talking about the Ohio tribs and my preferred "style" of swinging. Others will have different experiences I'm sure. Anyhow good info there Fred!

delopez 12-31-2012 09:49 AM

Damn good article and explanation. If the SGS sinking IScandi doesn't work for me, I'm ordering the SA Skagit Extreme! That'll do the job, well!

fredaevans 12-31-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delopez (Post 511731)
Damn good article and explanation. If the SGS sinking IScandi doesn't work for me, I'm ordering the SA Skagit Extreme! That'll do the job, well!

Have one of Steve's Intermed 'scandi plunge' heads on my 11' glass 6wt. 27.5' at 430 grains. Put a 5' RIO 'compensator' on the end of that then a sink tip. Lines a total treat to cast.

wt bash 12-31-2012 10:15 AM

How is lifting that line up and out on the glass? Sounds like its a non-issue.

delopez 12-31-2012 10:26 AM

The IScandi I got from Steve is also 27.5'. He said it would be wonderful on my rod to cast. He also sent me his tips to go on it

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by wt bash (Post 511742)
How is lifting that line up and out on the glass? Sounds like its a non-issue.

I haven't got to cast this line too much yet. I have a through-action rod (deer creek 13'6 8/9) and it feels pretty easy. Again Fred would be the more knowledgable one on this line. I feel that since it's 27.5', it makes it easy to life and cast. Bob Meiser really stressed to me to always buy a rod with good dangle release, which is what we're referring to. So, I'm glad to have one...

A 55' sinking head, on the other hand, might be a bit more of a challenge...

wt bash 12-31-2012 10:36 AM

I sold all of my "long" rods and I left myself with a Deer Creek 11' 7/8 and an 11' 7wt cane that I would be too scared to fish a sinking line off of but for the DC, I like the idea of a intermediate Scandi especially coming from Steve. Then I could save the cane for dryline fishing and have the DC set up for fall/spring spate.

delopez 12-31-2012 10:45 AM

I have to get down 20-30' in my water. So, we're still trying to figure it all out. However, right now there are icebergs on the river so that's out of the question. :s

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Speaking of the Deer Creek... I love the blue color of the switch rod. But I absolutely hate the purple on the spey rod. :s

wt bash 12-31-2012 10:58 AM

WHOA!!!!! 30 FEET!!!! At best I might have to get down to 8' and that's a stretch! Yeah I saw the purple and said naa the blue does look sharp in the sun though!

delopez 12-31-2012 11:17 AM

5mph current, 20-30', average. :) It is definitely tough.