The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Casting far far far.

With the talk all the time about underhand casting I thought I would post this video that shows a reason for the long heads and spey casting with the top hand.

mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting far far far.

Dan: Pretty impressive casting!

Larry

Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, thanks for sharing Dan.

Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an even better one. This is Gerard Downy doing a 70.3 meter cast in slow motion. If you watch this close you notice he perry pokes first. Something I have to do for distance. Watch what he does when he goes into the cast. He raises the rod getting his top hand well above and behind his head. This lengthens his stroke. First he stops with his top hand low, he then raises the whole rod and both hands as he establishes the anchor. When he does the forward cast he stops with the rod high, and this was probably 65 or 70 percent top hand. But you need to pay attention to see him stop the rod high. It's right at 0:17. It is so brief you almost miss it, then he drifts the tip down to reduce friction on the line. At 0:22 he starts a pullback on the rod. I'm pretty sure he's doing this to get a better turnover of the leader.

A last couple of things I see in the video, is when he goes into the back stroke. he stops the rod with a fairly high angle, and you should. Not doing it will take a lot of power out of the cast. Simon Gawsworth calls this trunking your cast when you drop the rod angle to low. He raises his hands and lengthens his stroke doing it, but flattens out his rod angle doing it. Notice the tip stays in pretty much the same spot when he does this. It must have taken a ton of practice to pull that maneuver off like he does it. It has the desired effect achieved by the high stop but allows for a longer stroke giving him more power and line speed. Notice the location of his feet and the body he puts into the cast also.

The last thing I noticed he does in this cast is at right about 0:20. He rotates the rod on its axis almost 90 degrees. I assume it has to do with the location of the spine on the rod. This probably lines the guides up with less twist and reduces friction on the line but I'm guessing on this one. In fact before you start the video, the frame shown is with the rod rotated.

This is a fantastic video for showing a great distance cast. I don't think you could ask for a better video to illustrate the style and components of a really far cast. In fact the conversion of 70.3 meters is 230' 7" which beats Gordon Armstongs 222' cast. I'm not sure if he had a wind assist here or not, but even if he did that's an increadible distance.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Now that's a fricken cast!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned

I was talking with Bill last night and we were discussing this last cast. In the part where he rolls the rod so the reel is flat to the ground, we came up with a more likely reason. Bill said he's seen single hand casters do it, and I saw a Russian spey caster do it. With a cigarette hanging out of his mouth to. We think it may be because as the line comes up from the ground it exits the first stripper at an angle and makes a wave betweent the first two guides. By rolling the rod on it's side the the wave in the line does not contact the blank. I'm not sure if it makes a whole lot of difference but any reduction in friction where it's a close contest, who knows?