The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wabi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default took the 2 hander to the river

Finally got a chance to try the Ohio river with the 11' rod today.
Sure glad I had a rod capable of handling big fish in strong current.
Started off with a Clouser minnow in #4 size and had a hookup before long.
It was a tough battle, but I finally brought the brute to hand.
Click the image to open in full size.

Well, it wasn't really that tough to land it, but the current was strong and I did find the repair I made to my left boot didn't work. I guess a wet foot makes the fight seem longer.

Also caught a Spotted bass, but it wasn't anything I couldn't have landed on my 3wt.

BTW - The Rio 8/9 Switch line was working fairly well for a spey cast after I got the timing & hard stop on the forward stroke figured out. I was able to get casts out to 70' or so after a bit of practice. What I found works best is to really close up my grip on the rod (top hand close to the reel) and come to a very abrupt stop at the 11:00 o'clock position.
Hopefully I'll get back out after the next round of rain is over. Need more practice (and bigger fish).
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: took the 2 hander to the river

Did you check the records? Glad to hear your getting that rod/line figured out!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you getting out and dialing in your two hander Wabi! Sounds like a good day to me
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed, congrats on getting out and fishing with the 2 hander!

Larry

Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's great that you are getting the hang of it. I really like the Spotted Bass thing. I have never ever seen one, let alone catch one.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post

BTW - The Rio 8/9 Switch line was working fairly well for a spey cast after I got the timing & hard stop on the forward stroke figured out. I was able to get casts out to 70' or so after a bit of practice. What I found works best is to really close up my grip on the rod (top hand close to the reel) and come to a very abrupt stop at the 11:00 o'clock position.
Hopefully I'll get back out after the next round of rain is over. Need more practice (and bigger fish).
Right on with the hardish stop at 11AM. That's one thing I have to drill into folks when giving a casting lesson. "Gravity Works" even on fly lines. The high stop is allow 'time' for the line to lay out before Mom Nature takes over.

fae