The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: "Eye of the Beholder."

I used a switch rod on a lake, also a single hand. A lot of the time, I used single-hand spey casting to get my fly out the furthest because there is no back casting room at times. Even on the rivers, when I dry fly fish, I have no backcast room. I find myself false casting left and right, to dry off the fly, and into a snake roll and back out to dead drift the dry fly.

I was also using a 7wt 11' switch with a wulff ambush line and an intermediate poly leader setup, throwing clowsers and such on the lake. Worked well.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Why did you go two hand?

Excellent clip DZ; one of the best I've seen showing just how easy it is to do a spey cast with a single hand rod. Recommend folks watch the others that pop up at the end of his clip above.

fae
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Why did you go two hand?

Actually, all of his clips are at christopherrownes.com
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why did you go two hand?

Thanks for all of the replies. I am trying to find something in the 10 to 11 foot range. Casting my 5 weight is fine but when I suspect that the moment I move up in weight, the shoulder will not like it too much. So, I guess I am looking for an 8 weight switch rod, right? Seems that most two handed rods are longer than 10 or 11. I think any longer would hurt me in that the local waters arent big enough for a big rod like that.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Default Why did you go two hand?

The tug is a drug, man!

When you get your rod, get in touch with Steve Godshall about lining your rod. He will grain match and length match to your rod and fishing situations. You tell him what you're planning to fish for, what rod you have, and what you're planning to throw with it, and he will create a line for you to do the job. It's no more expensive than buying a brand new fly line and you get it customized to your rod!
fredaevans likes this.

Last edited by delopez; 01-18-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I am trying to find something in the 10 to 11 foot range. Casting my 5 weight is fine but when I suspect that the moment I move up in weight, the shoulder will not like it too much. So, I guess I am looking for an 8 weight switch rod, right? Seems that most two handed rods are longer than 10 or 11. I think any longer would hurt me in that the local waters arent big enough for a big rod like that.
Fred and some of the other two hand experts can and I'm sure will chime in on this but here's my take.

When you go 2 handed, forget about the rod weight as you think about them with single hands. It's all about the grain window. Why is this important? You need to consider the types/sizes of flies you are going to use, what sort of casting you'll be doing as well as the species of fish you'll be casting to.

Again, for some perspective, I am using a 6wt rod with switch line that suits the type of fishing I'm doing on the Great Lakes for Lake Run steelies. It's got enough power to handle Lake Erie fish but I might be a little under gunned in NY, MI, or WI. Remember, a longer rod will help you handle larger fish. An 8wt is a pretty serious stick, I might consider a 7wt.

Going with a light rod would give you some versatility so if you wanted to single hand cast your two hander it's easiER. Beulah has rods between 10 and 11 foot, and there are lots that are in the 11 to 12 range as well.

I test casted (as well as I can cast) a Sage One 7116 several weeks ago, wow was I impressed. Very light for a long rod and lots of backbone.

Still say if you're going this route, you should really consider going to a fly shop that carries these rods and cast some. Not to discourage a 2 handed purchase, but to get first hand knowledge and suggestions based on where you're going to fish it.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
When you go 2 handed, forget about the rod weight as you think about them with single hands..
True, they are in no way related. In fact I wish they didn't even put a weight on them and just used the grain window instead. Even more confusing, what we call a certain weight here is not the same weight in Europe. Grain window is the only reliable way to do it.

Quote:
Remember, a longer rod will help you handle larger fish. An 8wt is a pretty serious stick, I might consider a 7wt..
I'm using a 10/11 for Walleye. The weight of the rod is not for the size of the fish. It's for how far you want to cast the fly. The size fish you plan to catch should have absolutely no bearing on your choice of rod. It is true that a longer rod helps you handle a larger fish though.

Quote:
Still say if you're going this route, you should really consider going to a fly shop that carries these rods and cast some. Not to discourage a 2 handed purchase, but to get first hand knowledge and suggestions based on where you're going to fish it.
The only problem with that could be you may get a guy that even though he sells them does not know a dang thing about them. Our biggest tackle shop here has a guy working there that I know for a fact doesn't fish, but can talk a darned good game. If you want to talk to a shop that does know what it's talking about try calling the Red Shed and ask Poppy what he thinks. He is a depository of knowledge in all things spey.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
The tug is a drug, man!

When you get your rod, get in touch with Steve Godshall about lining your rod. He will grain match and length match to your rod and fishing situations. You tell him what you're planning to fish for, what rod you have, and what you're planning to throw with it, and he will create a line for you to do the job. It's no more expensive than buying a brand new fly line and you get it customized to your rod!
Soooo yesssss! Been converting all my rods over to Steve's custom cuts over the past three'ish years. Just another 'Trust Me On This One' deals; you will know the difference.

fae
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Thanks again for all the responses. I spent about 3 hours out on the creek with my 5 weight, I think I am going to jump to a two handed rod. The rivers I plan on fishing with it have little to no room for a back cast. The two hand will help this out a lot I guess. I have a Hardy St. Aidan reel I will load up.

So, I am looking for rod suggestions. Somewhere around $300, new or used, does not matter. Red Truck has some Loop rods for sale that look good. I am going to head down to my local shop and look as well but I have never cast one so I do not know what I am looking for.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

How far do you need to cast? How big are the flies you need to get that distance?